Grade to Pass achieved, but completion fails

Re: Grade to Pass achieved, but completion fails

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, you haven't set them up the same way - you state above that the final exam is set to 80, not 100 like the quizzes.  I suspect that somewhere there is a problem with your settings.  Perhaps the quizzes are not worth 100 points and so 100 cannot be achieved...what is the total point value for each quiz set on the edit quiz page?  Have you set the Grade to Pass in the quizzes?  Is it the same as your total quiz points?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Duane Willis -
Thanks for your response here!  In each of the quizzes, the Total of marks and the Maximum grade are each set to 100.00. 

The Grade to Pass in the Quiz category edit section is also set to 100.00.

But you gave me an idea to test out.  

Since my previous tests scored 100.00 and the completion functionality says the quiz was still failed, I decided to try lowering the Grade to Pass to 50.00 and retook the quiz using my test account and scored 100.00.  Again, Activity Completion still has "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity" selected.  On this attempt, the completion functionality actually did mark the quiz with the Green X, indicating successful completion. 

But I'm not certain how to apply this information.  Now that I've lowered the Grade to Pass below our standards, the Activity can be completed successfully.  But of course, that's not acceptable.  Quizzes with the Grade to Pass set to lower than 100% seem to function as intended (provided the score is achieved).  As soon as I put the Grade to Pass back to 100.00 & score 100.00, this anomaly reoccurs. .  Any ideas on where I'm going wrong here?  Is there is some logic language that I'm missing here?

In reply to Duane Willis

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you sure that there is a greater than function coming in here somewhere?  It seems to me that maybe Moodle is looking for greater than 100 for a passing grade.  Can you post screenshots of your quiz settings and completion settings showing all the grade relative stuff?

by Duane Willis -
The only greater than/less than functionality I've encountered has been in the Restrict Access category, which I'm not using currently.  I'd like to though, if I can get this initial issue figured out. Here are screenshots showing:

- the Restrict Access setting (the Grade criteria isn't normally selected.  I just populated it to show that I'm NOT using it's Greater Than/Less Than feature right now)

- The Edit Quiz Markings Total and Maximum Grade

Attachment Quiz Completion error 3.PNG
Attachment Quiz Completion error 4.PNG

by Duane Willis -

Here are shots of the Grade to Pass and the Activity Completion  settings.

Attachment Quiz Completion error 1.PNG
Attachment Quiz Completion error 2.PNG
In reply to Duane Willis

by Emma Richardson -

What happens if you uncheck the Require Grade option and then JUST select Require passing grade?

by Duane Willis -

That's the suggestion that makes perfect sense to me.  But if you don't select "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity", then "Require passing grade" is grayed out and disabled from selection.  If you select both of them, the completion box doesn't fill with anything.  No red, blue or green Xs.

In reply to Duane Willis

by Emma Richardson -

Have you allowed cron to run?  It might take a run or two of cron to register...though I think you will just get a completed or not completed icon instead of the green check marks.  

Moderator, can you move this to the quiz forum?  Then we can get Tim's input...

by Duane Willis -
I've seen references to Cron online, but I'm not very familiar with it yet.  I'll look into that and give it a try.
In reply to Duane Willis

by Lee Bannister -
The same issue happens with me.  I used to be able to select grade to pass or all attempt done WITHOUT needing to select the grade earned option.  Now the row is indented.   I really wish that activity completion settings were as dynamic as the activity restrictions settings so that I could do "and" or "or" with my options.   I really sometimes want the student to just complete the activity, regardless of the grade earned (passing or not).
In reply to Lee Bannister

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In response to several people in this thread, there was  a bug with Grade to Pass which was fixed -see the tracker for the versions which were fixed: MDL-58196

However, if you are on a version that has the fix and it doesn't work, try removing the restrictions and then adding them back again, as mentioned in the later comments in that tracker issue,

Average of ratings: Useful (1)