Can't Grade student assignments

Can't Grade student assignments

by Edwin Yeong -
Number of replies: 16

Dear all,

I am experiencing this problem. When I click on the 'Grade' button to grade an assignment in the assignments table page, I was faced with the page, Forbidden. You do not have permission to access this document. I have been trying to sole this problem but to no avail,

Moodle Version: Moodle 3.2.1

Please advise how I can solve this problem. Thanks a lot.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edwin Yeong

Re: Can't Grade student assignments

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you checked permissions?  What is your role in the course/site?  Are you a site admin?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Edwin Yeong -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried enrolling as teacher and manager to try and I have also tried logging in as site admin to test. But still to no avail.

In reply to Edwin Yeong

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Then I would start by checking the moodle permssions for each role in the site admin/user/permission/define roles section and I would also check the folder permissions on the server for your moodle installation.

Can you give us a screenshot of the message?  Is it a moodle message or a webpage message?

by Edwin Yeong -

Hi Emma,

Screen is follows:

I am not able to access the page when I click on Grade on this page:

The URL for this page is : .../mod/assign/view.php?id=2346&rownum=0&action=grader&userid=287

In reply to Edwin Yeong

by Emma Richardson -

That is a web server error page so you need to start by looking at permissions on your server files and maybe firewall issues.  Your server logs might give you a clue of where to start.

by Edwin Yeong -

Hi Emma,

The problem has been solved. I have asked my service provider to disable Mod_security module module and I can assignment the grading page now. Thanks a lot for your help!

In reply to Edwin Yeong

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Forbidden error screens may not be Moodle, but an Apache forbidden screen.

As Emma suggested, please provide a screen shot of the forbidden screen.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Edwin Yeong -

Hi Ken,

I have provided the screenshot. May you can also take a look and advise. Thanks a lot!

In reply to Edwin Yeong

by Ken Task -

Error screen shot is not a moodle error but an apache (web service) forbidden error.

In your screen capture ... (uhhhh, you should really try to find a way to capture screens with software/method where you do NOT have to provide word docs ... many won't open word doc links provided by someone they don't know/trust) .... it shows lms/blah, blah, blah.   Typical access would be http://site/lms/  IF /lms/ is where the moodle code resides.

However, in attempts to see the front page of your Moodle ... no can do.

Got command line on something linux/Mac:

Try: curl -I http://site/lms/

If lms is where the moodle code resides, one should get cookie info from the moodle.

Your site, IF I have guessed the correct URL, is kicking back a 'wp-json' which looks like a word press plugin you might have installed above the Moodle is kicking in and, from time to time, messes up your access to Moodle.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Edwin Yeong -

Hi Ken, Sorrry for the lousy screenshot file.

I have found the log for the error, it reads :

Apache Error Screen

In reply to Edwin Yeong

by Ken Task -

That appears to be a mod_security (an extension to apache for protection of the web server apps) rule that's interpreting that url as something malicious.   Don't run mod_security myself so am not any help with specifics, but in reading the log entry ... blind sql injection attack.

What server is online.sdh.edu.sg?   Is that the former fully quaified domain name of your moodle?   Was the moodle migrated from that host to the /lms/ directory of your server?

You mind find an answer via something here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mod+security+blind+sql+attack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Edwin Yeong -

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your help! The problem has been solved. I have asked my service provider to disable Mod_security module module and I can assignment the grading page now. Thanks!