grades and percentages do not match based on addition of new quiz to live course

grades and percentages do not match based on addition of new quiz to live course

by Nathan Hartwick -
Number of replies: 0
Moodle 2.8.5+ (Build: 20150409)

I have a problem with student grades and percentages not matching after a quiz was added and the weights for all the graded items and points available were redistributed.

The quiz that was added is a five-question quiz with one point awarded per question and the quiz is worth up to two points in the gradebook. So each question is worth .4 points. You answer one question incorrect and you get a 1.6 in the gradebook. Simple enough.

All the section that you'll see in the attached screenshots are set to natural aggregation, with some sections having a weight of 20 and other 10, but total 100.

I cannot figure out why after adding this quiz and redistributing points and weights for that last section (Stellar CSI) the overall grades and percentages no longer match, even if a student hasn't taken that quiz. You either get a grade that is higher than the percentage or a percentage that is higher than the grade. Delete that quiz and everyone's grade and percentage match again.

I hope the screenshots below can help make my explanation clearer. Unfortunately, no student has taken the new quiz because it is not assigned until October, but it wasn't until the quiz was added that everything got messed up.