General developer forum

Check if external database exists $DB->get_records_sql_menu

Andrew
Check if external database exists $DB->get_records_sql_menu

Hi Everyone,

I need to pull data from a separate system into a plugin I've written. It works fantastically well. I'd like to put a fail safe into my plugin so that if for some reason the table in my external database is not present, then the data is not loaded. I would add a warning instead.

Currently, I get the message:

Error reading from database

Table x dosn't exist...

A simple solution would be for me to import the table into the Moodle database where I can use commands to check for it's presence. However, I would prefer an IF EXISTS, If ! == NULL or other code based solution to make this work.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
Davo
Re: Check if external database exists $DB->get_records_sql_menu
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

There are functions you can use for checking the existence of tables, but they're really designed for use during install/upgrade.

$dbman = $DB->get_manager();
if ($dbman->table_exists('name_of_table')) {

But, you should be aware that this uses a cached list of tables that Moodle knows about, so will probably not work with tables created outside of the Moodle install/upgrade code.

I'd assume, in this case, you're likely to need to manually check for the table existence (or wrap a try-catch block around the attempts to read from it, to show a more user-friendly error message).

Andrew

Thanks Davo, I thought that may be the case.

On the external database, I may create a checking table first based on a table I know will always be present such as the information.schema with a CASE statement to setting a record value to 1 or 0 and then use this for my IF statement. Still not a perfect solution but a solution though.

Andrew

I've decided to add a Moodle Tracker recommendation. I just think it makes sense to be able to check whether an external database tables exists before performing an action so that I can have control over the error output.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-60017

In my situation, because my plugin is part of an activity, a database error knocks out the whole activity. While this isn't likely to be a problem, I prefer to have a fallback.

Thanks,

Andrew