Managing past courses

Managing past courses

by Trevor Wood -
Number of replies: 7

we'd like to find a way to display completed courses to students. Something that allows students to easily identify what are their active courses are as separate. Ideally all units in the "past/completed courses" set would automatically be set to audit only.

Does anyone know of a plugin or other solution for this?

Cheers

Trev W.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trevor Wood

Re: Managing past courses

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

With the new 3.3 Course Overview, it's possible :

In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Katrin Backhaus -

Hi,

this is nice feature, but the problem is that past courses also disappear from the navigation bar.

If someone wants to return to a completed course (e.g. to study for an exam), it is extremely hard to find.

(taking away course completion and thus keeping the courses "In progress" is not an option for us, because we award badges based on course completion)

Does anyone have an idea/workaround that keeps the courses in the navigation bar?

In reply to Katrin Backhaus

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

for me, past courses are always in the navigation bar

Courses are not hidden of course... but maybe I'm wrong

Or more informations or screenshot ?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Do you mean the navigation "drawer?"

The drawer only shows 10 courses.  I think that there was some work in progress to not show hidden courses on the navdrawer, but I am not sure.  If I want to see all courses, I click on the navdrawer's "home" link.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Katrin Backhaus -

Hello again,

@Luigi: that's interesting, maybe it has to do with the theme, then... We are currently using boost. I will try switching to another one just to see what happens.

@Rick: I would be interested to know how I can find out if there is "some work in progress". Where did you learn about it? I didn't find anything about it in the tracker.

@Rick: Which "home" link do you mean? (On my site, "site home" takes me to the starting page, the "dashboard" is currently the "current/in progress/ past" course overview and "more.." takes me to the complete course list (I do not want to direct my students there, as they will see all courses, and not only the ones that they are enrolled in, and they will be confused). 

Maybe to make this clear: The problem is not about me not finding my courses, but about the students who complete one course after the other throughout the semester - and then, when they want to study for the exam later, the courses have disappeared into a tab on the dashboard (here they have to click again to see them, as the default view is "current" of course). I would appreciate a workaround for the navigation drawer, because I cannot take away course completion (they earn badges with it).

Here are some screenshots to illustrate my problem:

This is part of my list of courses. Out of the ones that are shown here, I am enrolled in four: Intro to energy, solar resource, electricity and electric grids. Only two of them are in the nav drawer (above and below are other courses from categories above and below this one).

courselist

This is what the course overview on the Dashboard shows (interestingly, it does not keep to "my" order, but seems to sort the courses alphabetically). The courses that are missing in my nav drawer are those that are 100% completed:

courseoverview

I appreciate your help. Thank you for your feedback so far - any more ideas?

by Luiggi Sansonetti -

Hi

What I can see it's a little "More..." under the PV off-grid systems" course.

You have a list about 10 courses, and no one more...

Maybe it's a limit with boost theme

Can you change these limit (navcourselimit, coursesperpage...) ?

Maybe they are listed at the end, so int the second page...

In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Katrin Backhaus -

Hi, yes, this "more.."  is also bothersome, because it does not lead to a "second page" as you suggested, but to a complete overview of all courses (which I do not want my students to see).. but that's another topic.

I have now found the solution to my problem (unfortunately it's a core hack...)

https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostcoc/blob/master/README.md#list-completeness

Thank you all for your time and for your comments!