Teacher can no more reset a course after update

Re: Teacher can no more reset a course after update

by Zabelle Motte -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I found how to solve that problem while doing 2 verifications :

•  I had a look at the permissions of one teacher in a course while consulting the following menu :
    ADMINISTRATION > Course administration > Users > Permissions > Check permissions
    I saw that this teacher was not authorized to reset courses (while the teacher profile was well authorized to).
  • I had a look at the capacity overview report in site administration :
    ADMINISTRATION > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Capability overview
    I searched for the "course:reset" capability for all roles.
    And I found the authenticated user column to indicate the reset:cours actions to be forbidden !

I did not find how to modify the forbidden "course:reset" capability of authenticated user through admin interface, but I found how to do it trough database :

• find the authenticated user id in mdl_role table
  • search for that roleid in mdl_role_capabilities table, with capability  %like% course:reset
  • verify this line has a "permission" column to "-1000"
  • delete this line

Verify your capability overview report and verify your teacher role can reset courses !

Important to remember in case of capability problem : have a look at the Capability overview report though
ADMINISTRATION > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Capability overview
Select all roles, and it will help you to understand how to solve the problem.

Note that our Moodle is a very old instance, and this hopefully explains while we encounter such problems.

Zabelle

Average of ratings: Useful (1)