Activity Chooser Moodle 3.2 - Boost - HELP!!

Activity Chooser Moodle 3.2 - Boost - HELP!!

by Shawn Trueman -
Number of replies: 16

We just upgraded to Moodle Moodle 3.2.4+ (Build: 20170727) and are using the Boost Theme.

We are having inconsistency with the activity chooser. Sometimes it works and at others it won't. Our host suggested clearing browser cache and examine javascript. He could not duplicate the problem on his side.

I have upgraded java and things seem to be working in Safari, but am still having trouble in Firefox and Chrome. 

We have had issues with several users on Macs and PCs in all browsers. I am at a loss as to how I should/could correct this problem.

This link is to a screencast that shows what is happening in Firefox.

https://vimeo.com/user30700671/review/228163984/7c22b7d37f

Thanks for any input.

Shawn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shawn Trueman

Re: Activity Chooser Moodle 3.2 - Boost - HELP!!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moving to Themes forum...

Just noting that Moodle doesn't use Java for anything.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Shawn,

Firstly, as Howard says, Java and Javascript are two entirely different things and Moodle does not use Java at all, so that is a red-herring.

However, I do think your issue is related to javascript not working, or being delayed by something. The other pointer to this is that in your video, when you go to the assignment pages, the spinner continues on the file picker and never resolves either.

The usual cause for this (assuming no code customisations have been made) is a clash with a plugin.

So, first of all take a look in the developer console and see if that identifies where any javascript errors might be occuring

If that doesn't help, then try removing any plugins one at a time (or remove them all and add them back in one at a time) to try to identify which one may be causing the problem.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Shawn Trueman -

Richard - 

Thank you for your input. I did remove the sharing cart block plugin sad which seems to have corrected my problem.

For future reference though, what is the developer console? I did not see it as an item in the developer menu list.

Thanks again.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ah - I have Firebug installed, and there is a 'Console' option on there which shows JS errors. Sorry forgot to mention Firebug smile

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As well as Firebug, just pressing F12 will bring up the default developer tools in Firefox, Chrome and even IE.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I just had this happen with 3.3 and a boost based theme.  It was due to a incompatible block on the page (in my case sharing cart which I am hoping will get fixed very soon).  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Shawn Trueman -

Thank you Emma. I removed my sharing cart and things are working.

So sad though. We all love sharing cart.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Me too - I have emailed the developer - they are normally great about getting it fixed so we will keep our fingers crossed!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What exactly is your screenshot suposed to show...or not as the case may be.

All I detected was the dropdown menu of your browser's cut/copy/paste etc.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Shawn Trueman -

The video revealed that the link to add activities was not active after 1 or 2instances of clicking on it.

The issue seems to have been corrected by the removal of the Sharing Cart block.

Thanks.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ah...I did not realise it was a video...I thought it was a screenshot...

by Emma Richardson -

By the way, this is specific to Boost and other Boost based themes.  Sharing Cart works with Clean and Adaptable!  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Evans -

In that case it may possibly be a modal z-index issue. See list in attached file.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Emma Richardson -

Sadly I think it is more than that.  The plugin itself also loses all its functionality - no Add to Sharing in the Edit Menu and no icons by the items that in the cart...plus I am pretty sure that I have seen some javascript errors related to sharing cart.

Even more sadly, I see that I am listed as telling people that it works on 3.3 on the plug in page!!! I am always the primary tester but when I tested I was using Adaptable.  I didn't see the issue until I moved to Fordson theme and and verified that the same thing happens in Boost.

I have emails into the plugin maintainer and the plugin developers so hopefully we will see an update soon.