Best Slideshow Application for Moodle Mobile

Best Slideshow Application for Moodle Mobile

by Les Bell -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, all,

I've recently added Moodle Mobile support to my site, to support some blended learning courses I've been teaching. It's been a great success and I can see attendees doing quizzes while commuting, etc.

My existing Moodle site provides updated lecture slides by embedding PDF's, which I've noticed requires the PDF be downloaded and then viewed in the Android (in my own case) PDF viewer.

I'm researching whether there are better options. I also use Google Slides and have experimented with embedding a Google Slides presentation into a test course - which worked well on the web, but the slides, which are embedded into a note on the course page, do not seem to be reachable on the app. Is this perhaps because they're on the course page? The text-only note above them appears just fine.

What other applications are you using to make lecture slides available?

--- Les

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Les Bell

Re: Best Slideshow Application for Moodle Mobile

by Les Bell -

Just updating my own post: A quick test has showed that creating a page to embed a Google Slides presentation does allow the presentation to show up in Moodle Mobile. With the phone held vertically, though, the slide is a bit on the small side, and the forward/play/back controls visible at the bottom of the presentation on the web are not there in the Mobile app.

Turning the screen to landscape mode results in the slide filling the width of the screen, but now the bottom part of the slide is not visible and can't be scrolled into view.

It looks spectacular when viewed in a desktop browser, though - and the ability to collaboratively edit a presentation and have the new version immediately reflected in Moodle is awfully attractive - no more 'print to PDF and upload' sessions!

--- Les

In reply to Les Bell

by John Doubleday -

HI Les,

Just wondering if you have ever tried to add images to a quiz and have students view/take on a Mobile device?

In reply to John Doubleday

by Walter Byrd -

I cannot get google slides to works at all. I just get a blank screen.

I am using Android 4.1.1 - maybe that is the problem.

In reply to Les Bell

by Derek Chaplin -

Les,

I ran into a similar problem and pretty much solved it by changing the slide layout to from a 4:3 aspect ratio to a 16:9 ratio to better match the HD aspect ratio of most modern smartphones.

Hope that helps.