Fordson - Control "Add Activity or Resource" options in courses

Fordson - Control "Add Activity or Resource" options in courses

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello All,

The latest version of Fordson coming out soon(Version 1.5.6) will include the ability to control the menu items that appear for teachers when they go to add activities or resources.  This innovative feature was first seen on the github Fork of Hillbrook School https://www.hillbrook.qld.edu.au/ .  I loved the feature and integrated it with Fordson.  

This new feature can operate one of two ways:

• To highlight a few most used activities to put them at the top of the list while still displaying all available activities and resources below.
  • To only show selected activities while hiding everything not included.  

Check out the video below:

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Fordson - Control "Add Activity or Resource" options in courses

by Mihir J -

wohooo...

good one Chris!!

Thanks!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Define "soon" please!!  I am just setting up for new year - would love to see it in there before my teachers get rolling...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Kenniburg -

Maybe tomorrow.  I am still adding features.  

For instance, you might not want "Learning Tools" as the label heading for this new custom menu.  I just added the ability to add your own label heading so it can be "Top Modules", "Most Used", or whatever you want.

I also want to define the menu to only be customized for editing teachers.  Otherwise Managers, and Site Admins will see the whole menu and be able to add in special modules that might otherwise be hidden for teachers.  

Exciting stuff!  This is why I love Moodle.  

Chris

by Derek Chirnside -
I'm on limited wifi and can't check properly:

Is there a participants list behind the management tab?  I'd really like this there for both student and teacher roles.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Chris Kenniburg -

Derek,

I added it just now for teachers.  It is always in the nav drawer.  I am waiting to see what Moodle does with integrating Participants and Enrolled Users.  That is ultimately the link I want to make sure is in the management tab.

So, I added it for teachers.  Will be published on moodle.org before friday as I will be leaving for vacation.  

by Chris Kenniburg -

So I am trying to make it so that users that are "Managers" or above will see ALL modules even when the theme is set to hide everything but the custom module menu.  

I just kinda hap-hazardly chose this user permission as being the one that will determine if a user can see all modules:

Is this as good as any for determining Manager and above?  

Basically, if you have this permission you can see all activities and resources even if it is set to only show the custom menu.  Normal teacher roles in a course can only see the custom menu if set to hide defaults.

by Chris Kenniburg -

I just pushed the latest version up to github.  This version gives you more control over who sees what when it comes to adding mods to courses.

If you restrict access to only the items in the custom menu all users (except site admin) will only see the activities and resources you specify in the comma separated list.  

A new checkbox was added which allows users with the Manager Role to see all activity and resources regardless of the previous setting.  This is useful if you only want normal teachers adding certain items but might want to allow certain users to add any and all activity/resources available on the Moodle site.

If you are site admin you will see all everything.

https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_fordson

I hope to publish this on Moodle.org soon pending any other ideas or feedback I might get before friday.

Let me know your ideas,

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Derek Chirnside -

Very nice Chris, enjoy your break.  

Forget about Moodle.  Hope you are off to somwhere nice.

This thread has become quite long, and I'm not sure I am up to all the details of things.

Over in our server we have been adding a bit of CSS.  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=356389

There is more I'll post sometime, a few areas where Boost CSS is not quite there yet, and has some small glitches in it.

Regards,

Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)