Fordson v1.5.3 - removal of icon categories

Fordson v1.5.3 - removal of icon categories

by Derek Chaplin -
Number of replies: 9
The removal of the course category icon navigation in 1.5.3 has prompted some users to ask why the change? They really liked the grid layout of categories. 

I understand the reason for removing them but is there a way to use a grid layout for the categories instead of the standard accordion list?  The standard category list layout just looks completely out of place compared to the previous icon category layout.

Thanks again for this great theme.

Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chaplin

Re: Fordson v1.5.3 - removal of icon categories

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
After feedback from our users we saw that when clicking to find courses they would get lost and spend lots of time going back and forth.  We have over 1500 courses in many categories and if the user got buried in a category it was harder using icons than the current method to get back out and look elsewhere.

If there is enough interest I can take a look at making the icon an option to turn on and off.  Because we use Fordson for our production site we make changes based on what our users want and I don't necessarily think of others.

by Chris Kenniburg -

Seeing that others may have liked the icons I am making a setting that will allow the user to choose which layout they prefer.  Will be published later today as a fix.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Derek Chaplin -

Chris,

Thank you - that would be great. I must say you offer amazing support for your theme. Keep on rockin!

Derek

by Chris Kenniburg -

Version 1.5.4 is published here and on github.  It adds a new toggle which will allow you to enable the category icons again.  

Since the theme is so new I didn't know people would be attached to certain elements of the design. 

If you have usability suggestions please post them.  

We have one other major feature we are working on in which we want to integrate a grading panel which will show teachers items that need grading.  Much like the teacher and student dashboards, this will slide down and present items much like some of the "Marking Blocks" do.  With integration in the theme you can free up space for learning content and avoid adding a block that eat's up space.  Our teachers have been asking for a way to quickly see what things need grading.  

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Chris Kenniburg -

You can only choose one icon for all category folders.

In reply to Deleted user

by Chris Kenniburg -

Very early on we had used an image but it was confusing because the categories had images and then the courses used images.  

People didn't know if they were clicking on a category or course.

That's when we decided to drop images for categories and just use icons to distinguish them from courses.

José Miguel Dager Montoya is a moodle user who originally helped with icons and images for courses and course categories.  You can try contacting him to see if he continued to develop the image aspect of categories for Fordson.