Hardware in large scal

Hardware in large scal

by wahid Anwar -
Number of replies: 7

i would use moodle 3.3 and have concurrent users are 5000 and I want to use windows server 2012 and MySQl as a database , Apache and PHP7 and have courses contains videos....... how many server I will need and configuration of these servers ? I need the best practice.... maybe i need server for database and server to moodle software and backup servers for each one

Average of ratings: -
In reply to wahid Anwar

Re: Hardware in large scal

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How did you establish '5000 concurrent users'? What do you (think you) mean by that?

That's a huge number and is both unlikely and would be a challenge if true. We need to look at that closely. 

If at all possible, I would use a proper video service to host your videos. Even if you link to them from Moodle. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by wahid Anwar -

Hello Howard:

this is a university and it has 40k student and 5K student will take the exam in the same time but different exam (not the same exam) , if we have solution for that we can discuss your solution for host video 

In reply to wahid Anwar

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

To be honest, creating a system to handle 5K students doing a quiz at the same time would be, while not impossible, technically challenging. It is a very unusual requirement. 

I would encourage you to seek the services of a Moodle Partner experienced in very large systems like this. 

Any advice you got here would be a guess and likely to be wildly wrong. If you want my advice consider the following...

- If you are determined to do this then can you start with a smaller system and gain some experience? Can you run a pilot and see what level of server resource you use for your particular situation?

- Does your institution *really* want to do 5K online tests at once. This borders on insane. Can you break them up on different days, stagger the start time etc.?

- Will your network handle this level of traffic, never mind Moodle?

I will give you an idea... we run a system for around 30K users that runs 4 large web front ends and various backends for database, file storage, caching etc. Staff occasionally run large concurrent quizzes and we start to get concerned around 200 users mark. Our Moodle can handle much larger levels of concurrency normally but quiz puts a lot of strain on the system. A system for 5K concurrent users would be unthinkable - unthinkably expensive mostly!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by wahid Anwar -
Hello Howard : thank you for your reply, i would like to tell you about the servers, we have 2 boxes and each box has 8 blade and each blade has 2 x 18-Core XEON  256GB RAM Blade Server and we have 2 WAF ( web application firewall ) F5 and we are thinking if this enough or no ....
the plan to create 7 or 10 virtual machine for Moodle till now i don't know how? and how to make load-balance between them and the max. users for each virtual ....real i don't know if this will work or no

============
I need to introduce solution to the institution

In reply to wahid Anwar

by Howard Miller -

It might. I don't know.... nobody does!   Chances are that nobody has done anything quite like this before. 

If you are worried, you should be wink   

None of this is meant to discourage you but you NEED to do some smaller pilots to gain knowledge and experience or you need to find a consultant with experience of running Moodle at this scale. 

I have LOTS of experience of running large Moodle sites but would be very nervous of a project like this. 

by Tawfik Daim -

Hi Howard and all

As I'm tasked to size a large moodle implementation for 25,000 students all running on moodle, every student will be watching average 2 lessons per day (each lesson is 45 minutes video + followed by 20 questions quiz), I can't estimate actual concurrent users as the tool will be available 24X7 and students can login at their preferred time.

As of now we are in planning and I need to raise a flag soon if moodle is not the right tool, it will be bad for business but probably better than failing at production (if you know what I mean smile )

I have few question I hope you can help me answer or even provide more guidance if I'm not seeing the full picture. 

1) Is there is an official sizing tool that can take parameters and give proper moodle sizing

2) is there a cap on number of users/hits that moodle can't operate fast enough after or potentially fail

3) if I use a separate video streaming server, what would work best (VdoCiypher ? or else)

3) If I use separate video streaming server and embbedded link into moodle course/lesson page will all video streaming be done from video site to user directly without consuming  moodle server bandwidth

4) if all above fails, for a rather simple functionality is there another better power horse LMS application I should divert my attention to rather than moodle

Many thanks for your contributions

In reply to wahid Anwar

by Tawfik Daim -
Hi Waheed
I'm working on a similar requirements and wanted to check with you if you have done the setup and gain some knowledge on hos is your moodle implementation is performing

Any tips pr advise highly welcomed - thanks