Learning Management Systems

Learning Management Systems

by Kateryna Skachko -
Number of replies: 9

After exploring some information about Moodle LMS options, I still have some questions. 

It will be great to get some answers on the following questions:

1. Are courses created within your LMS opened for search engines indexation?

2. Does your LMS allow setting a unique title, meta description and <h1> tags for every course page?

3. Does your LMS allow optimizing images alt tags?

4. Does your LMS integrate with Google Analytics?

5. Does your LMS allow installing Google Analytics event trackers on forms and other communication tools?

6. Does your system allow adding links to course developer website?

7. Does your LMS allow customizing course URLs?

8. Can courses, created within your LMS, be linked from one main page that is accessible for search engines?

9. Is it possible to create a course XML sitemap?

10. Can structured data, such as shema.org reviews markup be added to course pages created within your LMS?

11. Is your LMS mobile friendly?

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kateryna Skachko

Re: Learning Management Systems

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I cannot answer all of these, many others can.  Here is a start.

11.  Yes

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Kateryna Skachko -
Thank you.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What information have you already explored? Have you set up a free MoodleCloud site to try its possibilities yourself?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kateryna Skachko -

No, I haven't installed it yet. 

I've just started exploring the information.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In my view some of these questions are not very helpful. For example

"Does your LMS integrate with Google Analytics?"

That could have many meanings. For example you can put Google Analytics into anything on the web by pasting some code into the HTML. So a trite answer is "Yes", and a better answer is "it depends", or "you need to ask a better question such as is does it supply tools for configuring Google analytics and linking to the results". I'm not sure even that is a good question but it is probably an improvement. 

It might be better if you tell us what you are attempting to achieve with this information. Is it for deciding on a tool, or perhaps it is an academic exercise to find out about the features of VLE  systems. Either way with a little more background we can probably give more useful answer.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yes, of course. Moodle allows links outside itself without restriction. 

What do you mean "customizing course URLs?" Adding an image as a link? Yes.  The links out, obviously. The links in, not my problem. The URL in the address bar? Nope, not that it can't be done, by why bother? 

8. Can courses, created within your LMS, be linked from one main page that is accessible for search engines?  

Ermmmmm yesssss, but that presents a number of security issues you my want to consider. The linking page is usually called the Front Page with can be full of "Categories" or "Courses" or both, or something of that ilk. The problem with that is the dreaded "Scroll of Doom" The course list gets so long you may have to scroll for 5 minutes before you get to anything remotely connected to your course. With the advent of more personalized learning, most themes are directing users straight to their Dashboard these days, or so I understand. 

The idea of Moodle was that an organization can offer very tight security to protect both the intellectual copyright and the intellectual integrity (while not mutually exclusive, these two can be very different things), of their courses. Some institutes are not concerned about copyright and welcome guests, 'bots and so on, but most are overly zealous protecting themselves. So take your pick. 

by Joris Moodle -

The one's I can answer:

1. Are courses created within your LMS opened for search engines indexation?

This is a setting, they can be or they can't be. If you're looking for very good search engine optimization, having a Wordpress portal to display the courses, then link to Moodle using Single Sign-on might be better.

3. Does your LMS allow optimizing images alt tags?

Yes, every image can be alt tagged.

4. Does your LMS integrate with Google Analytics?

Yes: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=local_analytics

Not sure what this means, if you mean a simple link in the course description, then yes, that's possible.

You can make it have a more meaningful URL with the Local Analytics plugin. I'm not sure if there are other options, it could have to be something that needs to be custom developed.

Yes for example Wordpress

11. Is your LMS mobile friendly?

Yes. The Boost theme in the newest version is based on bootstrap 4 so will be responsive on mobile browsers. There is also an open source Moodle Mobile app on iOS and Android, which can also be branded. I really like the mobile app, but be aware that not all Moodle activities are supported yet on Moodle Mobile (plenty of them are though).

Good luck!