Comparisons and advocacy

peergrade.io

Picture of Ravi Murugesan
peergrade.io

I came across peergrade.io, a SaaS tool that seems to be very similar to Moodle Workshop. Has anyone here used it, and is it significantly different from Moodle Workshop?

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: peergrade.io
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

I am going to stick my neck out here and not answer the question as such, but point out that it is not always easy to compare one element of Moodle with a dedicated tool. For example, perhaps the best known, for me anyway, comparison was between MediaWiki and the wiki tool in v1.9.x. Essentially, MediaWiki is a fully supported, dedicated application. It does what it is supposed to do, it does this, that and something else. The then Moodle wiki did what it was supposed to do, was a little awkward, looked dreadful, but was really a half starved mouse compared to MediaWiki. Comparing them, I suspect, was only useful to the Devs, particularly the Open University as they developed their own wiki module, until Moodle developed another, much improved, module. 

Perrgrade.io is similar, I think it would be safe to assume that it will do what it does do, likely pretty well, but it is only one tool compared to Moodle. Do you, or anyone really, want to build an LMS system with so many different tools? MediaWiki, peergrade.io, something else, something else, built on PHP, perhaps Ruby, each with their own user database, their own interface, their own different skins, and so on. For the IT guys, this would be a nightmare to maintain, assuming they will all play nicely together. For the Users, a nightmare to be continually see a shifting, difficult to access, set of tools. Then there is the issue of licenses, and costs for the institution's administrators and accountants. 

As for peergrade.io itself, I suspect it was a specific tool developed for a specific need initially for the Danish Universities, now it is spreading its wings to reach a larger audience. I would also suspect it is proprietary software and would incur licensing fees if used.            

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Ravi Murugesan

Thanks Colin.

"Do you, or anyone really, want to build an LMS system with so many different tools?"

Definitely not me!

Picture of David Kofoed Wind

Hi Ravi!

I am one of the people behind Peergrade (www.peergrade.io) and I wanted to follow up on your query.

While Moodle has one of the better peer assessment solutions out there, we have added a bit of good stuff on top smile. First of all we believe that the most important part of peer assessment is the feedback (not just getting grades). To ensure good feedback, we let students evaluate the quality of the feedback they receive. Using this, we can then incentivise students to write good feedback by letting the quality of their feedback become part of their final score.

Beyond the feedback quality, we support various forms of group work, smarter algorithms for assigning who grades who, insights into which rubric criteria are working well and many other things.

And most importantly, we integrate into Moodle so you don't have to chose one or the other ;).

Jump over to www.peergrade.io and make a free account to try it out!

Best wishes,
David

Picture of Marcus Green
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi David, is your LMS integration through LTI? $US9.99 per teacher/month seems reasonable.

Hi Marcus

Actually, the current integration is not through LTI, but if we can suddenly see that this hinders anything, then we are probably going to rewrite it to be through LTI.

Best wishes,
David

Picture of Ben F

Hi David,

Just found peergrade.io and it looks interesting.  I can't find any information about how it integrates with Moodle though, either by looking around or on the help side of things.  I can see you can export data via CSV, is that the only way to integrate?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben

We offer a more proper integration with Moodle as a part of our institutional license. Currently that is through Moodle's API's and we are working on an LTI integration.

Best wishes,
David

Picture of Rebecca Ritchie

Hi David,

I was wondering when you think the LTI might be ready?

We are wanting to pilot peergrade.io but using it through API means it will be close to 6 months before it gets through our bureaucracy!

Cheers,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca

The Moodle LTI integration is almost ready, and live in 2 weeks smile.

Best wishes,

David