How to notify site users of new courses

How to notify site users of new courses

by Omid Fatemi -
Number of replies: 4

Hello Dear All;

I have a Moodle site. There are courses added to the site.

I would like to notify the users of the site each time a course has been added so they could come and enroll in the course.

Preferably this notification could be turned off by the user.

Is there a way to do this? any core functionality? any plugin? If not, how could I develop such module?

Regards;

Omid

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Omid Fatemi

Re: How to notify site users of new courses

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Omid, As far as I am aware, registered users are not automatically notified of new courses, you can however use news block and send user notifications of new courses, that though will put load on your email server for all registered users will get notifications.

Alternatively and recommended way is to  make use of social network like FaceBook, Twitter or Google+, your followers will get notifications.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Omid Fatemi -

Dear Usman;

Thank you.

You mean I send the notification manually with the news block?

I was looking for some kind of automatic notification of any new course created.

Regards;

Omid

In reply to Omid Fatemi

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Omid, I am afraid there is no automatic notification of new course uploads, even news has to be manually typed, there is no automatic news feed upon new course upload, where moodle internal notifications will be limited to registered users only, a social network will be open to public and better for your site SEO. how much of work is required to post your new courses to post on a social network? less than a minute.

In reply to Omid Fatemi

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As Usman says, there isn't - as far as I am aware - an existing feature that does this.

However, you could ask in the General developer forum about using Moodle's events system to trigger an email to users. There are other systems within Moodle that trigger notifications (e.g. a user gets notified when a grader marks their assignment), so you could a) find the relevant trigger event when a course is created and b) find how that can be used to send a notification to users - You would probably use the Moodle notification system ratehr than simply an email, because that already has the relevant systems for sending that to both Moodle internal messaging and to emails.

Alternatively you could advertise for a developer to do this for you. I think the tools are all there within Moodle, so it's 'just' a case of putting them together in the right ways - that said, the 'just' here would be outside my immediate experience and expertise, so I may be wrong about the complexity of achieving this!