Conditional OR branching

Conditional OR branching

by Aaron Batty -
Number of replies: 10

Hi all.

Just checking to see if anyone knows of a way to do conditional branching with "OR" logic. I.e., if you answer "X" on question 1, OR "Y" on Question 2, you end up at Question N. 

Alternately, it'd be great if I could figure out how to remove options that have already been selected.

I need respondents to rank 4 things, but if I do 4 separate questions, there is a possibility of picking the same thing for multiple ranks. If I use conditional branching, then I end up with 17 items to ask 4 things, and I still have to infer the last one. 

Ideas?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Aaron Batty

Re: Conditional OR branching

by Karen Whittingham -
Aaron did you find a way to do this - I would be interested to know the answer - and also if you could give the student a map/report of their responses.  

A response like this would be good.. You preferred X over y in Q1, this means XXX so you should review YY paragraphs in the textbook 

cheers

Karen 

In reply to Karen Whittingham

by Christoph Jobst -

Hi Karen,

this should both work with the current version of the plugin (for Moodle 3.4, compatible with Moodle 3.3). You can create more sophisticated rules for conditional branching. Please have a look in the docs here.

With this kind of branching, you can also create answer specific feedback - even for different combinations of answers.

E.g. with AND-Rules:

• Question-1 Answer 1 -- NOT SET
  • Question-1 Answer 2 -- SET
  • Question-1 Answer 3 -- NOT SET

Best regards 

Christoph

In reply to Christoph Jobst

by Thiago Almeida -

Hi Christoph,

I use moodle 3.4 and need to use multiple dependencies, but I can not find it in the quiz.

Could you help me find this mode of multiple dependencies?

Att 
Thiago

In reply to Thiago Almeida

by Christoph Jobst -

Hi,

the moodle-activity "Quiz" unfortunately doesn't offer this feature. But since you are most likely talking about the "Questionnaire": you have to activate the branching in the questionnaire's settings. Look out for the Option "Allow branching questions" inside the "Response Options"-area.

Another condition is to use applicable questiontypes, which are

• Radio Buttons
  • Check Boxes
  • Yes/No
  • Dropdown Box

Best regards

Christoph

by Thiago Almeida -

I'm sorry for my very bad English, I'm Brazilian and I'm learning the system Moodle.

Yes, I was talking about the "Questionnaire" and not the "Quiz", and in the configuration tab I do not see the option to activate the branching in the questionnaire's, follow the image.

Yes it is in Portuguese but the translation of each item and the following.

Duration

Note

Layout

Behavior of the Question

Review Option

Appearance

Extra Restrictions on Attempts

General Feedback

Common module configuration

Restrict access

Bookmark and Share

Skills

Entering the behavior of the question we do not have the option of Allow branching questions.

Follow the top.

by Christoph Jobst -

Welcome to the community then, Thiago.

When creating a new activity, select "Enquete" and not "Questionário". This seems to be a ambiguous wording compared to the english identifiers. Enquete is the questionnaire from this plugin and "Questionário" is the quiz. 

Best regards, Christoph

by Thiago Almeida -

Perfect Christoph, the questionnaire option clearly does the branching dub, but the problem I have to solve, consists of asking a question to the user and dependent on it I redirect it to a page break that will have the issue that is directly branched with the answer.

but the problem comes in when I want to make a branch for the second question so I can get another page that should appear according to the answer to the second question

And when I say that I do not want the second question to appear, it jumps straight to the third page that should only appear if the second question had been answered.

I did this with the search module that in the moodle document in English is called Feedback.

I tried to enter the "Enquete" and I could not do the page break to only appear the question that was branched according to the given answers.

by Christoph Jobst -

I can't fully understand your problem. Did you try to set a parent question for the third question as well so it's appearance is triggered by the second question (I understand this is your goal)?

It might help if you create a flow-chart stating the dependencies to get the branching straight. 

by Melanie Scott -

So...Feedback and Questionnaire are very similar.  Feedback is part of core; Questionnaire is a third party plugin. They do a lot of the same things but are not the same. Feedback can do branching (and does branching better than old versions of Questionnaire--but it sounds like newer versions of Questionnaire have stepped it up).  I'm using 2.8, so I can't really say much about newer Feedback. 

That may be the confusion? Quiz is, essentially, a test. It doesn't do branching.  Feedback lets you do evaluations, inventories, etc and does do branching and is part of all Moodle installations.  Questionnaire lets you do evaluations, inventories, etc and does do branching but is not part of all Moodle installations--it has to be specially installed.

Instructions for Questionnaire issues won't work for either Quiz or Feedback.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Thiago Almeida -

Thanks for all

Christophhelped me a lot, I spent a good few hours in the "Poll" module, as indicated.

And I discovered in her if she gives to do everything I want to solve my problems

Thanks