Moodle 3.3 modedit.php error message

Re: Moodle 3.3 modedit.php error message

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Error 500 won't tell much ... could be many reasons ... suggest turning on debugging.   Try uploading or doing whatever you were doing with SCORM.   Copy the debug output to a text file.  Come back to this thread and paste.   Not a SCORM expert but debug output would probably be what would be requested by someone who was. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Íde O'Neill -

Hi Ken

As I am a novice Moodler, I don't know how or where to access the debug file. I followed the instructions as per this site but couldn't find the location of the data required.

I decided to re-install Moodle 2.9 and had no difficulties uploading the scorm packages and also find the navigation easier.

Is there a section in this forum for Absolute-Beginners-with-no-knowledge-of-programming? I would certainly like to learn more!  Maybe you could explain further about locating debugging data.

Thanks for you help. Ken smile

In reply to Íde O'Neill

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Debugging ... is not a set of files, but a 'setting' ... option to turn on/off.

Site Admin -> Development -> Debugging

PIck list at top of the debugging form ... entitled Debug Messages has 5 options ... default is none.

To get the max output, which will be technical, Developer

Now remember where you went to turn it on.   After collecting debug information, one would not want debugging to remain on for students/others to see.

If there is output from debugging, it should show to the screen.   Copy the debug output (highlight with your mouse and copy to clipboard of your computer), then open a new text document [NotePad (PC) or TexedEdit (Mac)], paste the debug output into that text document, Save it.

Turn off debugging on your site.   Come back to this thread and in a response paste the text from the text document OR simply upload the text document so that others can see.

Before doing the above ... suggest looking over the text document and removing URL's to your site - search and replace in NotePad or TextEditor can do that ...

Search for http://yoursite/ ... replace with http://MYSITE/

But, since you've re-installed the 2.9 where you were not having any problems, the above would be hard to do since the 3.3 you were trying to get running, isn't there anymore.

Still something you should learn to do with any version of Moodle.

The error screen you saw (Error 500) wasn't a Moodle error screen, but an apache server error and the only way to get a clue/hint is to search the raw error logs of the apache server.   There is no Moodle tool that does that.

In response to the request for a place for:

"Absolute-Beginners-with-no-knowledge-of-programming"

I'll defer any recommendation as am sure at least 2 others will have suggestions for you. @Mary @Helen ... might be @other's.

'spirit of sharing', Ken