recommended web hosts

recommended web hosts

by Anna W. -
Number of replies: 1

For "my" production Moodle, I don't have any admin rights, let alone (admin) access to the server, which is hosted by an external company. Little value is placed on internal development.

For these and various other reasons, I want to create my own Moodle test server. Working with a local test on my computer was very useful, but now I need to turn it up a notch, and I'm struggling to find a reliable web space provider that is both flexible enough (ideally, I don't want to be forced to stay with them for a full year), affordable and with sufficient access rights (for LAMP), loads of disk space, decent processor and memory space.

I'm based in Austria, which will probably make recommendations quite hard, but what would you recommend? German-based servers are fine by me, too, if they have more to offer.

Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anna W.

Re: recommended web hosts

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Anna,

For a personal test server, one of the best things I've found in the past year is to set up and use a Raspberry Pi 3. For about a hundred US dollars (less than the cost of a years worth of hosting) you can have a system that allows you to totally change the operating system and software in a couple of minutes simply by switching the memory chip. In other words I have memory chips setup with various Linux distributions, NGINX and Apache web servers, MySQL, MariaDB, and PostgreSQL databases, as well as PHP 5.5, 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1. In fact, I find they are cheap enough to where I now have two mini towers with 7 Raspberry Pi's in each tower so that I've even been able to experiment with running Moodle on a cluster.

My setup is not accessible online, but others are. There is a nice example using a Raspberry Pi 2 at https://moopi.uk/