Replicating Non-Moodle "look" in Moodle

Replicating Non-Moodle "look" in Moodle

by Colin Geenty -
Number of replies: 2
Hi there

As a school we are looking at implementing Moodle for next year as our intranet and possibly extranet as well. To find what we want our site to look like we examined what other schools are using. While none that we visited were using Moodle, several are looking that way...and of course we would rather lead than follow. Anyway below is a screenie of a feature we would like toahve but we are unsure if moodle can do it or if it can, how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is their front page
http://www.rosehill-college.co.nz/main.asp

The feature we would like to replicate is the side bar on the left expanding rather than linking to new pages, as we feel this makes the site easier to browse and navigate. It will also mean less network traffic with students clicking incorrect links.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if this has been answered previously but I missed it, could someone please redirect me.  Also if this is the incorrect forum please let me know.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Geenty

Re: Replicating Non-Moodle "look" in Moodle

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Colin,

One of Moodle 1.5's features is its support for custom blocks. The feature you describe could certainly be developed as a custom block, in fact an x-tree course menu block already exists - please see Humboldt State University's Courseware Development Center.

However, there are accessibility issues in using a navigation system which requires JavaScript. You may wish to also consider a css solution for your site navigation.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Replicating Non-Moodle "look" in Moodle

by Colin Geenty -
Thanks for that.

Yes I think probaly css would be the better method, that would only mean identifying the name of that block(?) and then using the table and div type commands?