Customising Moodle and importing non-moodle html courses

Customising Moodle and importing non-moodle html courses

by Data Ferret -
Number of replies: 5
Hi All

I am new to Moodle but have spent a few days lurking around the forums and reading the massive amount of information available. From a new user perspective it is quite overwhelming. I have a few questions which may/may not have been answered before so please do not tell me to read the forums or send me on a link hunt to other threads. It would help me the most if you could share your information here in one thread - posting links to other threads only if they are absolutely necessary to make your point. Thanks.

Note:
 I am testing offline on Apache/Windows prioer to putting a site online.

So - the questions:

1) I figured out from reading the forums I can change the layout of Moodle by editing the theme/header.html, theme/footer.html and various css files. What I would like to know is what do I need to do to edit the centre content output? I would like to design a curved box to for the content sections but there is no html page I can edit. Also, which bit controls the positioning of the sideblocks? In other words, how do I have full control over the layout so I can design/use a third party template - e.g. say from TempateMonster? (I read the URI theme tutorials but although they are very good they do not tell me all I need to know)

2) I would like to add things like a search box in the header, a login box etc. I would also like to hide the admin features from public view - so only authorised people can access the admin page by accessing a login form from a url I provide. This form will likely be a html page external to Moodle with the form action communicating directly with the Moodle Admin Login. Can this be done?

3) I was previously using Robohelp and Macromedia Contribute to deliver course content. This gave me a Windows help style system with embedded Flash movies. Mostly it was html based, so I could customise each page to suit my needs, but it is unweildy and not nearly dynamic enough. I would like to import this material into Moodle but how do I do this without rewriting each page?

4) Is it possible to make each course resemble the Windows Help format - i.e. a treeview of topics and subtopics which when clicked will take you to the relevant page/topic?

5) How do I customise the front page of the site? I know it can be done from within Admin and I have seen examples where people have a nice introduction with images etc. Can I design a page using say Dreamweaver then use this for the front page? If so how do I do this?

6) Say I have a topic and want to include a link to a Flash movie? How do I embed the flash page so people who are not subscribed to the course cannot acces the movie directly by typing in the link to it?

7) How do I customise the layout for individual courses and course pages? Can I use a layout template for this and if so where do I put it?

I know some of these questions must seem pretty basic for those already familar with Moodle but for someone just getting started it is quite complex and I want to get things right from the beginning.

Thanks in advance for your patience and advice

2)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Data Ferret

Re: Customising Moodle and importing non-moodle html courses

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Data Ferret and welcome to Moodle.
You would stand a better chance of getting answers to your queries by following the general rule of thumb on such discussion forums: please enter only one question per message.
All the best,
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Data Ferret -
Hi Joseph

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was not aware of the rule you mentioned about posting only one question at a time. I felt it was easier to keep all the questions together in one thread rather than annoy everyone by spamming the forum with lots of different individual questions.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for future posts
In reply to Data Ferret

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Data Ferret,

Let me try answering the easiest questions first! wink

6) If you put the Flash movie in the course files folder then only students enrolled on the course will be able to access it.

2) Admin features are automatically hidden from all users without admin rights. If you've not done so already, you may find it helpful to create student and teacher accounts and try logging in to see how different things look. I like logging in as an admin in Firefox then logging in as a student in another browser, say Internet Explorer. I can then make changes as an admin and refresh IE to see the changes from a student's viewpoint.

3) There are various ways of achieving what you require. If you have a lot of content then you may wish to consider creating Scorm packages and including them in courses as Scorm or Object activities. Otherwise you could describe the content in more detail for us to provide you with more informed suggestions.

4) Have you seen the x-tree course menu block in Humboldt State University's Courseware Development Center?
In reply to Data Ferret

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
continued...

7) Course layout may be customised using course themes - please see MoodleDocs ThemeConfig for more details.

5) There are lots of ways of customising your site front page, including using css. Perhaps you could provide examples of what you'd like.

1) You do have control of layout ... if you're clever at css. wink Moodle 1.5 has a fabulous themes system - a big THANK YOU to Urs! approve

P.S. Joseph is right in recommending that you only ask one question at a time - I just hope he'll forgive me for wishing to encourage your questioning by giving you more than one answer at a time! clown
In reply to Helen Foster

by Data Ferret -
Wow Helen - Thank you for taking the time to give me such detailed information. You are very kind and it is exactly what I was hoping for to get me started.

The treemenu is just what I needed, and I will spend some time learning how the themes system works as you suggest.

I hope Joseph does not give you a hard time but in your defence you answered pretty much everything I asked and it is most helpful. I hope when I have learned a bit more about Moodle I can contribute something back in return smile