Allowing Course Creators to edit/manage all Courses

Allowing Course Creators to edit/manage all Courses

by Chris New -
Number of replies: 1

Hello All,

I have a need to allow anyone in the Course Creator role to edit/manage any courses created on our Moodle server. I know I have read some info in the past that it can be done, but I cannot find that info any longer and wanted to just ask in open discussion. Is anyone doing this currently? If so, what permissions need to be given to the Course Creator role? Do any other permission changes need to be made?
We use Moodle version 2.8.7

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris New

Re: Allowing Course Creators to edit/manage all Courses

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Chris,

That is really what the Manager role is for: to edit/manage all courses on the site. 

The Course creator role is extremely specific in function: it has only one additional function over a normal user, to create a course and to be put into it as Teacher. It has no other special abilities.

If the Manager role does too much for what you need, then it is much easier to remove abilities from the Manager role than add all the ones you would need to the Course creator role to get all the various course management abilities.

One thing Managers can not do is create new courses. If you want you Managers to also create new courses in addition to managing already existing ones, then give those users both Manager and Course creator system wide roles. https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Manager_role