Using Moodle in Secondary Schools?

Using Moodle in Secondary Schools?

Steven Singer發表於
Number of replies: 46

Hi. I hope someone can offer some advice and experiences when implementing Moodle in the school environment.

I work for a LEA (local education authority) in Wales and I'm involved with the implementation of Moodle across the schools in our authority. This is mainly secondary and Post-16).

We are presently working with 29 teachers from the secondary phase, from different schools, looking at how Moodle could be used to complement exisiting practice in their classroom.

We had an initial F2F meeting with the teachers, where they could get some hands on experience of using Moodle discuss the general issues of learning via Moodle. One of the big issues to arise, and the reason I am posting here, is that of student 'access' and teacher access at home and in school.

Many teachers had big concerns that they would be creating resources and spending their time developing courses that would ultimately only be accessed by a small number of pupils. There were also concerns at the general lack of physical computer access in secondary schools outside of the ICT teaching areas.

I am aware from recent reports that the use of Moodle is showing huge growth in the secondary sector in the UK. I would be very interested to know from the schools using Moodle, how they overcame these access concerns with their teachers and enabled Moodle to develop in school.

Many thanks.

評比平均分數: -
In reply to Steven Singer

Re: Using Moodle in Secondary Schools?

Ger Tielemans發表於
  1. Close the computer classrooms and spread the computers over the building. (make only exceptions for vocational PC-training rooms)
  2. Stress that when you have 1 computer for 4 students, the material designers should develop for every hour on school 45 minutyes of activities without a PC.
    (trick in collab activities: if you design PC-collab activities for 4 students, you can use computers all the time 微笑)
  3. If you use Moodle, students can use their computers at home also for their preparation activitities: Use the My Files block from Humboldt for storing and for transport from home to school.
  4. Keep using good books, just change the kind of activities around these books..

Drew Buddie發表於

We are going to be at the Bett show (see www.helpusgettobett.com) - a group of teachers who want to promote Moodle to the widest possible educational body.  If you are at Bett please come see us.

In reply to Drew Buddie

Jenny Toller發表於
I see that European Electronique on stand E70 will be showcasing Moodle. Is  this where you will be? Are  you sharing a stand with them? A group of teachers from my school are going to the BETT show on the Saturday and I am keen to get them  Moodle-enthused ;)
In reply to Jenny Toller

Miles Berry發表於
Hello Jenny,
We've actually booked a stand ourselves, for and on behalf of the Moodle community, over in the software village. There are a few threads about this in the Open Social Forum, most recently here. The whole project is described over on our own site.
In reply to Jenny Toller

Drew Buddie發表於

No, we will be at a stand of OUR OWN - funded by fellow Moodlers - called MOODLE (stand no. SW154-156, for the record) - Emap mucked up the listing - soon to be amended for the show guide 微笑

Drew

Miles Berry發表於
Hi Steven,
That's outstanding news about Newport! Time for a bit of publicity, I think!
You should get in touch with Ian Usher at Bucks, who's done LEA wide Moodle for a while now.

As an LEA you have a huge advantage on the resource creation side, as you could set up a cooperative system for folks to share their resources with your other schools and then develop these further - much like the open source methods that Moodle itself is the result of. The other big selling point is that you only need to create the resources once, and the time saved on marking (if you use online or peer assessment) helps balance the extra time put in to resource production.

We've used Moodle for homework rather than in class for the most part, thus leveraging the parents' PCs and Internet connection which have often been bought to support their kiddies' education. Of course you need to think through digital divide issues, which we do by providing access to ICT facilites after school, but the e-learning foundation could help here. If you're serious about providing Moodle in the classroom, then wifi PDAs may be worth exploring, and it's worth thinking in terms of Moodle to support independent learning in the library or resource centre, rather than rows of students sat in front of telescreens.

Miles.

評比平均分數:Useful (1)
In reply to Miles Berry

Conor Mac Liam發表於

I'm picking up nuggets of info here, but could I challenge you all a little further: A 2/3 paragraph sales pitch for Moodle to the second level teacher - a little bit of theory and how it can make life easier (mcq correcting, etc)? I hope to bring some staff with me to BETT, but just in case I can't ...

TIA,

Conor Mac Liam,

Kilkenny College

In reply to Conor Mac Liam

Miles Berry發表於
Moodle is the leading open source virtual learning environment. Developed by a team led by Australian educator Martin Dougiamas, Moodle provides teachers and learners with all the tools they need to engage in effective e-learning. In use in over 7000 sites worldwide, with more than 70 language versions available, Moodle is making a real difference to the quality of learning in all phases of education, ranging from infant schools, through universities into the world of corporate training and life long learning.

Moodle does far more than present online courses - Moodle is underpinned by a belief that people learn best together, and so it's really about using the web to build learning communities, with all the opportunities for collaboration and communication that that implies. Moodle's extensible modular architecture includes as standard tools for forums, online chat, messaging, online assessments, management of offline assignments, presentation of a rich range of resources including SCORM, and collaborative wiki-based work. Moodle has demonstrated its ability to promote learner engagement, self-reflection and communication, as well as engaging teachers in e-learning.

Online assessment tools save teachers the burden of marking script after script, whilst providing students with immediate feedback, and the chance and motivation to learn from their mistakes. Knowing how a class coped with homework before the next lesson makes for better teaching too. Using Moodle to make a whole range of resources available online saves teachers the queue at the photocopier, and promotes learner independence and autonomy. Peer assessment tools, shared workspaces (wikis), and discussion forums make learning from one another a reality, and can extend the best aspects of classroom practice into the home environment too. Also, having resources, assessment data and lesson plans altogether in one place streamlines the administivia faced by teachers.

Much of Moodle's code has been written by those actively engaged in education, and the international online community of users and developers at moodle.org is one of the most reflective, supportive groups that there is. What's more, because Moodle is open source, you can change it to fit round the way you teach; oh yes, and it's free.

In reply to Miles Berry

Ulrike Montgomery發表於
Miles,

Thanks a lot for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. In fact, I'll translate it into German, hoping to convince more teachers to  use it with students in their classrooms instead of only using it for staff development courses and as a school website.

Ulrike
In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

Ger Tielemans發表於
I reread the Moodle book again and ordered five for my team: especially the explanation of exercise and workshop are very valuable.
In reply to Miles Berry

Simon Clegg發表於

I understand that Moodle embodies the principles of collaboprative group learning and I champion Moodle as the package of choice for (UK) schools. However, it seems that BECTAs underlying objective for promoting VLEs in UK schools is to provide students with individual personal learning environments. How would you respond to this and how would you say Moodle meets this requirement.

Any opions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

In reply to Simon Clegg

Drew Buddie發表於
I'd say - in my personal opinion - as soon as Becta is seen to support a system for which an Open Source (therefore 'free') alternative exists, then the raison d'etre for all the 'paid for' alternatives ceases to exist. 

mandy honeyman發表於
Hi Steven,

(Miles wrote brilliantly! I'm going to copy and print that out for my teachers too big grin)

One of your concerns seems to derive particularly from the digital divide issue, and even more perhaps from the rural/urban digital access issue. I think that it would be important to know what the home broadband take up is in your area.

When I first looked at installing moodle at LVC, I ran an informal (paper) student survey to find out how many had pc's/shared pc's/internet access/broadband access. BTW I also asked what kind of games consoles they had (I figure that parents who can afford xbox/playstation can also afford a computer!).

Access to broadband still remains a rural issue! Quite a number of the kids living in the smaller villages that feed out school can't get broadband. Other people here will probably disagree with me on my next point, but I would suggest that moodle might be too slow to load (for twitchusers) over dial-up. But we also take a tougher approach about homework set on Moodle; we insist that they can do it at school during break/lunch, if they can't get on from home, but we also ensure that kids can get access to computers at those times.

hth
Mandy

In reply to mandy honeyman

Mike Sendrove發表於
Well I'm convinced - based on your positive experiences. That's a good job as Moodle has been decided as the VLE of choice by our LA.
However, I feel a bit stuck - I'm happy with the implementation of Moodle, and we have a working installation with very very little content - now though, I'm not sure where to go. As a teacher and also e-learning coordinator at school, I would like to set up our department (Mathematics in a large secondary comprehensive) to use as an example to other departments. Is there anybody here who has already done this (at the moment our resources are stored on windows based severs, collected together in a hand written intranet site - teaching resources, student data, assesments, schemes of work are all accessible in this way; which seems to work well for our needs at the moment)? I've played about with Moodle for a couple of hours, but I can't just get my head round how I should structure the Maths area. Does this make sense, is there anyone here who might be prepared to help me take the first few steps (or even outline the structure of the Maths area of the site) in implementing Moodle?
Many thanks for any help you can offer,
Mike Sendrove.
In reply to Mike Sendrove

Drew Buddie發表於

Hiya ,

I'd be happy to come to your school if you liked (depending on where you are) to aid you with your Moodle ideas.  I have been using it for over 3 years now and have presnted at the UK Moodlemoots and recently at the Candian Moot.  Please contact me privately by email if you'd like to arrange something with me: drew@buddie.plus.com

Drew

Alick Brown發表於
Hello, Mike,
Looks like I'm in a similar position... trying out Moodle in a Department (9 staff, 1000+ students in school) having experimented over the years with intranet, on-line network, website and having got frustrated with incompatible systems and the need to be able to cope with html etc - beyond the capability and interest of other colleagues.
Moodle seems to overcome all these problems.
My version gives the department a category and each teacher a sub-category.
Each teacher has a course for each teaching group - which is locked so they can put anything there without having to worry about what anyone else thinks of it... mainly for activities and simple materials specific to that group.
Each of these courses is a child-member of a year group metacourse in the department category - which is open to all and where all common resources aand activities go... where I hope most decent teaching materials will end up.
I organise my teaching group courses using the weekly format, and the year group courses using the topics format.
It is still taking shape - I only have one active colleague at the moment - but you can see it here: Oakham School Learning Network
Hope this helps - I would be interested to know what others suggest, as this is maybe too complex for a whole school.
Alick
In reply to Alick Brown

Patrick Malley發表於
I'm not sold on the idea of metacourses - seems to me that it might confuse my students. I currently structure courses into categories that correspond to departments. If we ever get to the point that teachers are creating content that should be shared, then we'll simply duplicate that content (backup, restore, import, etc.). Or, perhaps I'll find a need for metacourses yet ....
In reply to Patrick Malley

Anthony Borrow發表於
Core developers的相片 Plugin developers的相片 Testers的相片
Patrick - I was hesitant to use metacourses initially for the same reason; however, when I had one teacher teaching the same material to 5 sections they were not thrilled about having to maintain 5 courses. What I did to avoid confusion for students is to hide the child courses. I also setup groups for each of the sections which allowed things like the gradebook, forums, assignments, etc. to be managed nicely. So ultimately the metacourses (which we now use by default) proved to be quite useful. Peace.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Patrick Malley發表於
Thanks, Anthony.

Perhaps I am confused about how the metacourses work. Let's say I had three sections of U.S. History all taught by different teachers.

If I gave each teacher their own course that was under the same metacourse, then enrolled students into the individual courses (that are hidden), my teachers could add content to their individual course and have it appear on the metacourse page when that page was visited by one of their student?

Then, anything added to the metacourse would be available to all child courses?

If so, this would be fantastic!

Patrick Malley發表於
Neverfind, I found may answer here.

It really is too bad that we couldn't simply share resources.

Here is my issue with metacourses. Eventually, I would like all of the teachers in the school to use Moodle. Each of my students have 8 classes every semester. If "Student A" has 8 classes, and 4 of them have metacourses, then the student will potentially have 10? courses on their "My Moodle" page. Doesn't this seem excessively confusing??

Anthony Borrow發表於
Patrick - I'm glad you found an answer. It would be nice to have a repository - I know that it is being planned. As I said, I eliminate the section courses so that our students only see the number of classes that they have. It helps to avoid some of the confusion but I can see where things can get complicated. Peace.

Patrick Malley發表於
Perhaps you could explain what makes this different from a single teacher using groups??? I may be missing something. thank you in advance.

Anthony Borrow發表於
There is not much difference for a teacher's or even a student's point of view. It is essentially a course with groups for the sections. The advantage for me as an admin is that I can give teachers an option as to how they wish to manage their classes. If they can live the limitation of having a single course (be it a metacourse or regular course) and keeping all of their sections basically on the same time line then they use that. However, other teachers prefer to maintain separate courses. As an admin, if they want separate courses the enrollments are already taken care of when I import them from our SIS. It is really about management. Does that help to clarify?

Patrick Malley發表於
We're still allowing students to self-enroll (a hassle). Next year, we will start importing students from our SIS - this all makes sense now .... 微笑

Thanks for the clarification.

Anthony Borrow發表於
My pleasure. Importing and maintaining enrollments can be a bit of work but it makes a big difference to teachers and students. Teachers can manually add or drop a student but we periodically go in and update records. As you move in that direction let me know if you have any questions. Peace - Anthony

Patrick Malley發表於
Mike,

I have been working with Moodle for the past couple of years and have recently been charged with enlarging the scope of my school's Moodle installation to include mandatory use by our social studies department. With that said, I have a few thoughts on structuring your Moodle.

Organization for the long-term is key. I will use my AP Psychology course as an example, because I know nothing about math. My AP Psychology class covers 14 units. Therefore, the first thing that I did was set my course page to display 14 sections (using Topics format). I labeled each section to correspond to a different unit. Then, I opened up my course "files" and created 14 folders, each corresponding, yet again, to a different section (also named after the unit). Then, I opened my "questions" and created 14 categories, one for each unit, as well.

Everything I teach in PowerPoint is saved in both .swf and .pdf format. If I give a handout to my students, it is also saved to .pdf format. I then uploaded these resources, as I created them into one of three files within their unit "parent" directory. For example, .swf files went into a file I created named "/unitname/slideshows/", .pdf files went into a file I created named "/unitname/notesheets/", and handouts & homework went into a file I created named "/unitname/resources/".

As I moved from one unit to the next, I added three "directories" to the respective unit's section on my course page under the heading "Resources:". Those directories were for "slideshows," "printable notesheets," and "resources." Of course, they pointed students to the file directories created in the previous paragraph.

As my students moved through the year, they grew accustom to this structure and knew precisely where to look for class resources.

As I spend time with my colleagues this summer, I will encourage the same type of organization from them - thus keeping things consistent across courses.

If you were asking more about structuring courses specifically, you may want to consider "teams" of teachers being responsible for the same course, with students within that course divided into groups. (However, I find that one person ends up doing the majority of the work if this is done.)

I think the amount of work that I have done in structuring my course the way that I have was tremendous! Nevertheless, the payoff is that I should never have to do it again - from now on I will have to do nothing more than update the resources that are there. This is true, in part, because my structure has been so solid.
附件 Picture_1.png

andy choo發表於
Hi Mike,

We have set up a dedicated Moodle Website to provide online Maths Learning Courses for our local kids. Perhaps if you are interested, do PM me and I can provide you with a link and account for viewing.

Andy
In reply to andy choo

NARVESH AUCHOYBUR發表於

Hi Andy,

I am working on a Design and Technology project based learning module with moodle for A level students and would be grateful if i can get some information concerning student response and how best can the modules be structured for use by secondary students.

Thanks

Narv

Mauritius.     

In reply to NARVESH AUCHOYBUR

Vinaye Kumarduth Goodary發表於

hi Narv, 

hope you are doing well with your Moodle for D & T. 

I have been using Moodle to teach Hindi at MGI Tertiary sector and I am also working on a project, implementing it at MGI.. 

we can discuss, if you want, vinaye08@gmail.com or you can contact me on 7669740.

Vinaye

mauritius

In reply to andy choo

David O'Connor發表於

Hi

I'm a Maths teacher in a school which is starting to use Moodle and am wondering how best to use Moodle in the maths department. Any ideas? Can I see your couerses and what you are doing?

David

Re: Using Moodle in Secondary Schools - same course multiple classrooms?

Bob Furst發表於
A lot of discussion here... this looks great for secondary. This is a 5th grade question, and would probably apply.
We are kicking the tires on this here in Mount Prospect IL. I have a teacher excited about developing a course (what we term a unit of study) about the Human Body -5th grade. Good stuff -- so good in fact we wish to use it in multiple classrooms.

So the question -- how can we have the same course for multiple classrooms. We want to use everything that was developed for the course (Resources, activities, etc.) but provide separate virtual work spaces for the teachers and their associated students. Is it a simple copy the course and rename it function?

Thanks in advance for your reply(ies).
In reply to Bob Furst

Mark McCall發表於
I teach at a 1:1 school in Texas and added the Moodle Administrator hat to my classroom duties last year. I experimented with a number of different options for this issue during the year. Since all of our students (approx 900) have access to laptops we use Moodle in an enhanced classroom role.

I am one of three 7th Grade Social Studies teachers. 1st Six Weeks I set up separate courses for each teacher (simple backup and restore process). The issue we quickly ran into was updates had to be made in three different courses. We also could not share course files from one course to the other and we had to set up each teacher in each class in order to cross grade projects. After 6 weeks we moved to a single course and began to use groups. This was ultimately the model that we stuck with the rest of the year.

Constructing forums, chats, and other social activities with Group Mode on Separate will keep each class "invisible" to each other.

If one of the teachers wanted to create a separate assignment just for their class they would simply label it with "name:assignment title".

After upgrading to 1.8, I discovered some new features in groups that makes this solution even more powerful. Specifically the ability to assign an enrollment key to a group in order to "auto" group the students when they enroll in the course.

After managing multiple instances of the same course for about six weeks I became a big fan of groups. I hope this helps.
In reply to Mark McCall

Katy Ramsey發表於
How do groups work when you have two sections of a class - one advanced and one lower level?
In reply to Katy Ramsey

Mark McCall發表於
It would depend upon how far apart the sections are and what activities that you want the advanced course to partake vs. the lower level. Ie. If the Advanced course includes the same activities + additional forums and maybe a workshop I would keep it all one course and just note in the title or label a topic section as the advanced course and house the different assignments there. Although you cannot block students from one course looking at the activity of the other you can ensure that they will not see user content by using separate groups.

The one issue with this approach is going to be in the grade book. All assignments will be visible to all students. This could cause confusion for the students.

If the courses are significantly different then your best option may be two separate courses.

You could transfer standard activities (to keep from recreating) from one course to another through the export-import process and create unique activities in each course. You can fine tune the export process to just export the activity that you want to transfer. (Be careful that you do not export or import students or else they will be enrolled in both courses.)

Unfortunately, in the standard Moodle I do not know of a way to assign activities based on a group.
In reply to Mark McCall

Katy Ramsey發表於
Thank you!
That makes complete sense. I think I will have to have different pages for each section. The parents and students will be too confused.
In reply to Mark McCall

Jon Hart發表於
In addition to the enrollment key for a group "auto" grouping a student, we have written code to "auto" group students into groups without an enrollment key.
We added a field to allow for selecting during setup of a course whether to turn this on or off.

Here are the directions if anyone else is interested

GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT:

THIS FILE WILL ASSIST IN SETTING UP OF
AUTO-ASSIGNMENT OF STUDENTS INTO GROUPS UPON REGISTRATION.

DB TABLES CHANGED:
mdl_course: added new field groupautoassign

FILES CHANGED:
moodle/enrol/manual/enrol.php
moodle/course/edit_form.php
moodle/lang/en-utf8/moodle.php

NEW FILES:
moodle/lang/en-utf8/help/groupautoassign.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Update mdl_course table & add a field after groupmodeforce named:

'groupautoassign'

ALTER TABLE `mdl_course` ADD `groupautoassign` SMALLINT( 4 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' COMMENT 'Added for group Auto-Assignment' AFTER `groupmodeforce`

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) Update moodle/enrol/manual/enrol.php around Line # 72 after:

print_footer();
exit;

} else if (!empty($_GET['confirm'])) {

ADD:

//ADDED NEXT 12 LINES FOR GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT
//Check to see if a group id has already been assigned before auto-assignment procedure
if ($groupid == false) {
if ($course->groupautoassign) {
$groupid = $this->check_group_auto_entry ($course->id);
if ($groupid == false) {
//Set up groups full error string
error(get_string('enrolcoursefull','enrolmax',$group));
}
}
}
//END GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT

-------

ALSO around Line # 83 REPLACE:

if (!enrol_into_course($course, $USER, 'manual')) {
print_error('couldnotassignrole');
}

WITH:

//BEGIN ADDITION FOR AUTO-ASSIGNMENT INTO GROUPS
if (enrol_into_course($course, $USER, 'manual')) {
if ($groupid !== false) {
if (!add_user_to_group($groupid, $USER->id)) {
print_error('couldnotassigngroup');
}
}
} else {
print_error('couldnotassignrole');
}
//END ADDITION FOR AUTO-ASSIGNMENT INTO GROUPS

--------

ALSO around line # 142 after:
$groupid = $this->check_group_entry($course->id, $form->password);

ADD:

//ADDED NEXT 12 LINES FOR GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT
//Check to see if a group id has already been assigned before auto-assignment procedure
if ($groupid == false) {
if ($course->groupautoassign) {
$groupid = $this->check_group_auto_entry ($course->id);
if ($groupid == false) {
//Set up groups full error string
error(get_string('enrolcoursefull','enrolmax',$group));
}
}
}
//END GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.) Added new function to moodle/enrol/manual/enrol.php to handle assignment of group id to assign around Line # 184 after:

redirect($destination);

} else {
$this->errormsg = get_string('enrolmentkeyhint', '', substr($course->password,0,1));
}
}

ADD:

//BEGIN ADDITION FOR GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT
/**
* Auto Assign students into groups for the given course id
* @param courseid the current course id
*/
function check_group_auto_entry ($courseid) {
//Set ingroup to false...No group assigned
$ingroup = false;

//If groups exist in the course id passed then...
if (($groups = get_groups($courseid)) !== false) {
//Spin through each of the groups looking for first available group to assign student to
foreach ($groups as $group) {
//Get the maximum # of students to allow in the group
$maxenrolment=get_field('groups','enrolmax','id',$group->id);
//Get the total # of available seats left in the current group
$availableenrolments=$maxenrolment - count_course_students_bycourseid($courseid,'','','',$group->id,'');
//If students are allowed in group and there are available seats then...
if (($maxenrolment>0) and ($availableenrolments>0)) {
//Assign the current group id to ingroup...this is the group student will be placed into
$ingroup = $group->id;
//Stop the loop and return the group assignment back to the caller
break;
}
}
}
//Pass back the group id the student will be assigned to IF one was returned
return $ingroup;
}
//END ADDITION FOR GROUP AUTO-ASSIGNMENT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.) In moodle/course/edit_form.php around Line # 312 after:

ADD:
$choices = array();
$choices['0'] = get_string('no');
$choices['1'] = get_string('yes');
$mform->addElement('select', 'groupautoassign', get_string('autoassigngroup'), $choices);
$mform->setHelpButton('groupautoassign', array('groupautoassign', get_string('autoassigngroup')), true);
$mform->setDefault('groupautoassign', 0);

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.) In moodle/lang/en-utf8/moodle.php around Line # 127 after:

$string['authenticateduserdescription'] = 'All logged in users.';

ADD:
$string['autoassigngroup'] = 'Auto-Assign Groups';

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.) Add new file named "groupautoassign.html" in the moodle/lang/en-utf8/help directory:

<h1>Auto-assign Groups</h1>

<p>The group auto-assignment can either be:</p>
<ul>
<li>No - Do not auto-assign students into the groups upon course registration</li>
<li>Yes - Auto-assign students into the groups upon course registration</li>
</ul>

<p>The group auto-assign feature ONLY works if groups exist for the course. Otherwise, this setting is ignored.</p>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.) Update moodle/lang/en-utf8/help/index.html under Setting Up courses:

ADD:
<li><a href="help.php?file=groupautoassign.html">Auto-Assign Groups</a></li>

In reply to Jon Hart

Jaison Gonzalez發表於

Hi Moodlers,

I Would like to ask for your advice concerning some things I need to know how to do in Moodle, for a k-12 school...

1. I have implemented the student role, and created some demo ones… I would like to know if there’s anything I can do to promote them automatically, I mean if they are in fourth grade is there anything I can do to take them to fifth grade automatically (or at least almost). I have created a group list and I don’t know if that helps a bit…

2. I have created courses, and I would like to know how to import the created ones and take it to another course...

3. I have created the parent role perfectly, but I want to relate it when the students logs in for the first time to Moodle… so I am almost sure I have to modify the data-base structure and create some new fields and as well the internal code to make the reference that I do want and expect, but I really haven’t got an idea of how or should I rather say where to

I will really appreciate any guidance.

Best regards.

In reply to Jaison Gonzalez

mandy honeyman發表於
Hi jaison,

Oh how i would love to be able to do your point 1, automatically, however, in my experience this isn't really possible.

I have a group set for each year i.e. Students2007 and this contains all the kids that started school in that year. Then some courses that are meta courses I enroll the whole group into these in the summer and out into the next year's meta course. Or I now follow someone elses advice (sorry can't remember who), and have set up groups (with enrollment keys) for students to enroll themselves not just into courses but also into groups! I haven't tested this yet, but I think thats the theory. Basically all of KS3 (that age 11-14) are unenrolled in the summer holiday KS4 who are doing exams and therefore 2year long courses have to enroll themselves.

2. "Backup" your base course and "restore" it as often as you like, great way of copying lots of teachers at once and general "department" resources like links etc.

3. Please let me know when you crack this one because I would love it too cool

cheers
Mandy

andy choo發表於
Hi Guys,

I have a website that caters online learning Maths Materials for secondary students, wondering if anyone is interested in viewing the demo contents?

Regards,
Andy Choo

In reply to andy choo

Cindy Minnich發表於
I would like to see it...can you post a link??
In reply to Cindy Minnich

andy choo發表於
Hi Guys,

The URL of my website is http://maths.edhub.net

Do feel free to create an account and access the demo content in it.

Regards,
Andy Choo
Edhub
In reply to andy choo

回复: Re: Using Moodle in Secondary Schools?

rongguang liu發表於

I can see your site.I find your moodle theme is very nice.can you send it to me?My email:lrg427@163.com . Thanks a lot!

In reply to andy choo

Shalveena Prasad發表於

Andy are you able to provide a link to viewing you website catering for e-learning in maths. My email is

shalveena_myahoo.com