Differences hosting cloud prices.

Re: Differences hosting cloud prices.

by Sam Mudle -
Number of replies: 0

This post is a little late to the party, but I'd like to add my 2cents.

UNLIMITED DISK SPACE, UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH, CPU 4 CORES

What good is 4 CPU cores if they share your little site with 50,000 other sites on the same server -- that's called shared hosting. So if you give a quiz to all of your students, and another site is doing something CPU intensive at the same time during peak hours, you'll see your little moodle site crawl to a stop.   Disk space is cheap yeah, with CDN's bandwidth is dirt cheap but that's not the issue with Moodle which is a relatively small bandwidth footprint.  Honestly shared hosting is really good for just a static HTML page.

PREMIUM SUPPORT

Yeah, maybe.  Generally no phone support, everything is done through email ticket system.  What is the uptime on their server?  Here's typical support:

Me: "Hey I'd like to install Moodle 3.x, but it requires PHP 8.2"

Hostgator: "We don't plan on updating our shared server to PHP 8.2 for a while., but hey you can buy our fantastic VPS plan for $150/month and run Php whatever on that!"

Me: "Hi, my site was running find for the first two months, but now kids are waiting forever to see a quiz generate"

Hostgator: "Yeah we throttled you usage, or added another 6000 sites on your little shared server, but hey, if you choose a VPS server, for $190/mo, you'll get blazing fast speeds"

I've jumped through a few hosts, and finally settled on one that's a bit more expensive, but I've found it's good enough.

If you know nothing about code, then shared hosting will be a nightmare with DNS configs, FTPs, name servers, db passwords and paths....

I pay about $150 per year for shared hosting and I have full control of the source and all plugins.

If I had MoodleCloud hosting, it would cost me $500 per year and I would only get a measly 400MB of space for the moodledata folder.