Theme Fordson - bug or at least strange behavior top menu bar

Theme Fordson - bug or at least strange behavior top menu bar

by Stefan Roder -
Number of replies: 14

Hi Chris

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post for what happened with my site but I first wanted to announce before openening a ticket.

When I am on the advanced forum's search page (e.g. http://mysite.com/mod/forum/search.php?id=26&search=) I cannot change the language or open the context user menu in the top bar. Haven't yet tried this with any other Boost theme and I am not sure wether this is a theme or forum related problem.

The funny thing is that it works with debugging switched on - so of course there is no error message output.

Moodle 3.2.1+ and Fordson 1.2.9b

Best regards,

Stefan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Roder

Re: Theme Fordson - bug or at least strange behavior top menu bar

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A couple of points to help Chris move this forward (if it is in fact a Fordson theme issue):

'Advanced Forum' is a third party plugin and many/most developers are not able to test their theme/plugin against every combination of external plugins, so we do rely on people like yourself reporting these issues Stefan - whether here or in a github tracker smile

It really is necessary to test any issues that might be theme related, first of all with the parent theme (in Fordson's case, that's Boost) or with any Boost related theme, it is very useful to also test against Clean theme. That will enable the developers to determine whether the issue is a theme one - whether it is the specific theme, or its parent, or whether the issue actually relates to the 3rd party plugin.

So with that in mind - are you able to report what happens in Boost and Clean as well, please?

Thanks

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Stefan Roder -

Hi Richard

Thanks for your quick reply - I will follow your instructions as soon as possible.

BTW - it is the core forum I am talking about. I know that advanced forum is third party and not fully supported in every situation.

Best regards,

Stefan

(ups - now I see what made you think I was talking about advanced forum. My bad - I meant the forum's advanced search)

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Stefan Roder -

Hello everybody!

Please forget about this "issue" - tested again and everything works fine. Don't know what it was but I can't reproduce it any longer.

Topic could be deleted from my side...

Sorry for bothering someone sad

Best regards,

Stefan

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Its no bother Stefan - just glad it was OK and that you were able to report back that fact Yes

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Stefan Roder -

It happened again!

Sorry to come back to this but the issue re-appeared.

When on advanced search inside the forum language and profile context menues are without function.

Moodle 3.2.2+ and Fordson 1.3.1

Best regards,

Stefan

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So if I am understanding correctly,  you are in a forum.  

The top navigation bar has issues with the language and profile menus?  Can you post the error message too please.  

I have a site here in which we have moodle 3.2.2 and fordson.   http://moodlesandbox.dearbornschools.org   I can go into any forum and the advanced search and there is no issue with the menus.  

What other plugins do you have installed?  

Thanks,

Chris

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Stephan,

Can you swap over to Boost theme and tell us if that works as I have had same problems but with other themes and so I think this is a Moodle bug related to JavaScript. There are also popup boxes appearing randomly too, which may or maynot be related.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stefan Roder -

Hi Mary, (Hi Chris as well)

You are right: the issue also happens when in Boost theme - so most likely not related to Fordson!

Just to explain more detailed:

I have one course in topic format just to offer a bunch of different diskussion forums.

When I am on the advanced search page (e.g. /mod/forum/search.php?id=26&search=#) the language selector, the message and notifications context menues and the Profile context menues are not clickable - means I can't do anything with them.

The sidebar menu and the homepage button do work!

There is no error output with debugging switched to "developer".

Best regards,

Stefan

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Chris Kenniburg -

So the only thing installed on the site is Fordson?  Nothing other than core Moodle?

I'm using Moodle 3.2.2 with Fordson and I cannot reproduce the issue you describe.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Stefan Roder -

Hi Chris

I've got a lot of plugins installed - would it be of help to know them all?

As I said - debugging doesn't show any error output.

It is not really affecting me seriously so I'm not willing to re-install all the plugins step by step...hope you'll understand.

I don't know what to test next but would do anything you or someone else from the developers team recommends me to do.

Cheers,

Stefan

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Chris Kenniburg -

You most likely have a javascript conflict which causes other areas of the page to not work such as dropdowns etc.  Not quite sure but whenever someone has a bunch of plugins this can occur.  

If you have a public website I'd be happy to take a look.

In reply to Stefan Roder

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You only need to list the ones that are active when in the Forum page where the problem shows up?

Please list them then I can do some testing to see it they cause a conflict

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stefan Roder -

Alright - how do I get to know the ones that are active?

(tried to send you a message but I'm not allowed)