HELP! Grading summary visible for students

HELP! Grading summary visible for students

by Mathew Reed -
Number of replies: 6

When a student clicks on a submission area in order to submit their work, they can also see the grading summary - which allows them to view all submissions, grade items and see general information on who has and hasn't submitted.

How can I turn this entire area off for students only?

See screen shot attached.

Thanks!

Attachment grading summary.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mathew Reed

Re: HELP! Grading summary visible for students

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mathew,

By default, students can't see the grading summary or grade items. Thus it sounds as though some capabilities such as 'Grade assignment' (mod/assign:grade) have been changed for the role of student. Please check at the site level (in 'Define roles') that the capabilities are not set, and also at the course and activity level that there are no role overrides.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mathew Reed -

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your prompt response. I made a duplicate of the student role, turned everything to 'prevent' aside from:

mod/assign:view

mod/assign:submit

Which then rules out any permission setting that may be affecting it.

The backup role that I created is called 'Student x', which you can see from attached screen shot that there are no role overrides :/

Attachment Capture.PNG
In reply to Mathew Reed

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mathew,

Your screenshot doesn't actually show that there are no role overrides. It is for setting which roles are able to override other roles (for example normally a teacher can override the roles of non-editing teacher, student and guest).

Although roles and capabilities in Moodle allow many different possibilities, they are rather complex and a challenge to understand sometimes! To figure out what has happened on your site, you'll probably need to look in a lot of different places.

How about going to 'Check permissions' in the assignment administration and selecting one of your students. It will tell you which roles the student has. This can be useful because one reason for users gaining extra capabilities is that they are assigned an additional role.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mathew Reed -

Hi Helen,

I generally have no issue with this. I'm concerned that our IT dept. may have altered something that is overriding the permissions.

In regards to the roles and permissions, I've looked up the user and can see that the role cannot grade assignments. See screen shot that shows that 'Student-x' cannot grade assignments.

Attachment screen shot.png
In reply to Mathew Reed

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would double check that they are not also teachers or managers in the course.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mathew Reed -

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses!

I can confirm that they are enrolled as the student backup role - which has 0 allowed permissions aside from assignment view and submit.

I've checked at the system level, course, user and category level to ensure they don't have any alternate permissions. I've also checked to ensure