Scorm plays fine for most, but not all

Scorm plays fine for most, but not all

by Kate Rhodes -
Number of replies: 2

I know what you're all thinking... smile

We have a couple of courses built as scorm (adobe captivate 9), that are accessed by all sorts of people all over Canada and the US, so this isn't a local or internal site.

Most users have no issues getting the scorm lessons to play. They aren't fancy lessons either, just simple slides with audio and a few quiz questions.

I'm trying to help the people who can't get them to play. The biggest complaint is that it takes forever to load, and the course buffers a lot.

I've asked all the standard questions, is your browser up to date, can you play flash/html 5, are you behind a firewall wall / intranet...

I've tested the programs and have had others give me feedback on all types of devices and browsers, and we really can't find anything troubling, but there are always some who can't play them.  These people have insisted they have up to date browsers, they 've got enough speed... etc.

Is there anything else I can be suggesting to these people who have trouble?

Greatly appreciated as usual. I understand I can't please everyone, but if I can at least point them in a direction, maybe they'll stop being so miserable.

Thanks!

Kate

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kate Rhodes

Re: Scorm plays fine for most, but not all

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Kate, we run into the same issues, with our learners coming from hospitals across Canada. In most cases the only recommendation I can give them is to try another computer, ie: if they are using a work computer, try at home and vice versa. I am not sure the state of manufacturing IT in Canada, but I expect it's similar complications as a hospital, with some overzealous filtering or simply not well maintained machines.

I have also seen an issue with Macs where flash can be installed, but not actually enabled for our specific site. See https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-safari.html

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

Re: Scorm plays fine for most, but not all

by Kate Rhodes -

Ah, thank you Mathew!

You're right, it's really dependent on the work environment the person is in isn't it! I've asked the company to try and have their users try it outside of the corporate environment and they don't seem to have nearly the difficulties.

So, that said... I'll get back to them and let them know.

Thanks again. It's reassuring to know this happens sometimes.

Cheers!