Delete Student's Submission

Delete Student's Submission

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 10

Using Moodle 3.1.2 and a lecturer wishes to delete a students Moodle Assignment submission. 

We can't see, within the assignment, where we can delete the submission even though the lecturer's role has the capability mod/assign:editothersubmission set to allow. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: Delete Student's Submission

by Ryan Hazen -
Go to the assignment, "view all submissions", then select the "edit" dropdown to the right of the "grade" button for the student you want to modify:

You should be able to delete the assignment on the screen that comes next.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ryan Hazen

by Ali Hastie -

Thanks Ryan

The Edit submission option is not available within the Edit menu for the lecturer, this is what they see:

Edit menu

I have, at the Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles level allowed the lecturer role: mod/assign:editothersubmission (Edit another student's submission)  

I have checked the Permissions for the actual assignment and the Edit another student's submission option is set to Allowed for that particular lecturer.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Stephen Owens -

I think you'll need to revert that submission to draft before you'll be able to edit it

In reply to Stephen Owens

by Ali Hastie -

This is what the lecturer is provided within the Edit menu after reverting back to draft mode:

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Ryan Hazen -

Permissions can also be set at the course level and the assignment level. I would check your lecturer's permissions in the assignment and course as well:

In reply to Ryan Hazen

by Ali Hastie -

Yeah, double checked both the course and the assignment itself. 

I am wondering if it is due to the fact that it is a Mahara submission, which I should have informed in my first post. We use the Mahara Assignment Submission plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/assignsubmission_mahara

I think I need to have a good look at the lecturer role's permissions.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'd have thought that was very likely. The capability mod/assign:editothersubmission would relate to the assignment activity, so I would have thought (*thought* -not know) that you would need a capability specifically for the Mahara assignment  -such as mod/assignsubmission_mahara:editothersubmission

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ali Hastie -

Thanks Mary. Have made a post to Mahara.org support forum asking that question:

https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=7863

In reply to Ali Hastie

by John Benavides -

Hi 

I was having this problem,  I found the problem was caused because the user had another role in the course that didn't have the permission, once that role was removed the user was able to edit the submissions.