My courses block empty for guests

My courses block empty for guests

by Stefan Van De Velde -
Number of replies: 5

I've setup a course that everybody should see on their personal startpage and in the my courses block on that page. It's free to access I don't care if you're registered or not.

It works for users who have an account, they can access it and they see it in their my courses section.

Users who use the guest account can access the course, but they don't see it in the my courses block and that's very annoying.

I get conflicting things here on the forums on how to solve this. Some say it has to do with a limit of courses you can see (setting in navigation) others say they don't see it because they're not enrolled (I do have guest access enabled on course level mind you, so they should automatically enroll, not?)

Can anybody help me out here?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Van De Velde

Re: My courses block empty for guests

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Stefan,

Guests don't see the course in the My courses block because they're not enrolled. Guest access is not the same as being enrolled.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Stefan Van De Velde -
Yeah, I get the difference. Thx for the reply Helen.

Just a wild idea:

A category free that everybody sees in their "my courses" and every course that's inside that category is open to both registered as unregistered users. No fuzz. You can try and play with it and if you have fun, you can go on and register for the real stuff in the other categories.

Great for marketing also.

by Derek Chirnside -

You are adding a layer of complexity here Stefan.

There are ways to do this.

eg A simpler approach is just to have some marketing spots on the home page.

What theme are you using?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Stefan Van De Velde -

Do tell me. We're using impression.

http://opleiden.syntra-ab.be/moodle

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Guest access applies to any visitor to your Moodle site. If you have the guest enrolment plugin enabled in a course, and you've allowed auto-login guests at site level, then your course will behave the way you have described - anyone can go and have a look, read the content and decide if they want to enrol properly (you'll need self enrolment, or PayPal enrolment, or something else to allow them to do that of course).

Guests cannot reply to forum posts, submit quizzes, assignments or do anything other than read though! If you want them to experience the course properly, you'll need to create a demo student account and publish details in the course or elsewhere on the site.

Because they are not enrolled, the course cannot appear in the My Courses block, and as Helen said earlier, guests don't even see that block!

So, on the basis that guests can already get in, Derek is right - just publicise the course on your front page. You already have at least 4 marketing spots on your front page with that theme.

ps. Even though you allow language switching on your site, it's only changing the Moodle language, not the stuff you have typed. The Moodle language packs don't translate your text, just the text generated by Moodle. You might want to have a look at the multi-language filter: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Multi-language_content_filter