New Oliver Library Search Block

New Oliver Library Search Block

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 4
We use the Oliver software package for our library here at Monte. Our Librarian wished to add the Library search functionality into Moodle.

So I made this simple block. It allows for word and phrase searches of the Oliver system as well a a link to an advanced search.

Just extract the block to your moodle root directory then go to the admin screen to install it.

Once installed go to Admin->Blocks->Library Search Settings and enter the URL to your oliver gateway.exe

Thats it, the block is ready to go.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: New Oliver Library Search Block - 1.5 version

by Julian Ridden -
Attached is the 1.5 version that now takes into the account for Olivers need of timestamps.
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: New Oliver Library Search Block

by Tony Parke -

Hi Julian,

I have uploaded your Library Search block but I just get the name of the block as: blockname

How do I remedy this please?

In reply to Tony Parke

by Richard Heath -

Hi,

As you can see from the post date of the previous article, this block is by no means "new" any more. I've had a look at the code (as it's something I'd quite like to incorporate too) and I've hacked it about a little to get it working properly here. I've attached my hacked version. You should only need to replace the file "block_oliver.php".

When you've copied it over open it with a text editor. You'll see that I've replaced any obvious calls to database tables or variables that no longer exist, with fixed values. To customise it to your requirements just edit the following lines at the top of the file:

$this->title = 'Oliver Search'; (whatever you want to name the block)

$serverpath = 'http://caracal/oliver/gateway/gateway.exe'; (the location of your Oliver gateway.exe file.)

You can also edit any of the other variables to customise it further.

Hope this helps!

Richard

In reply to Richard Heath

by Julian Ridden -
Great stuff. Thanks for updating it. I no longer work with a school that uses Oliver, so had no reason to update. I am sure many are greatfull for your work.

JR