why can't blocks be downloaded from one page ??

why can't blocks be downloaded from one page ??

by Anil Sharma -
Number of replies: 14

It's been almost 6 months since i started using moodle now. When i get lost in the maze of forums, i suddenly bump into a brilliant block which has long been created but would never turn up in my searches because of the vastness of the English language. Take a look at this table :

Name of the Block

Keywords used for search that never showed up the block post

Course Main menumodule Activities block, module block, add modules in block,
CMS like website block,page in block, home pages, etc etc ...this one is naughty, never turns up whatever u do unless u use the exact CMS word or "site navigation"
Objects insert modules, readymade module insert, upload content
Myfiles user files area, upload personal files, store files online, area for file storage etc..

Now i have a feeling that there are a 100 other blocks hidden deep inside Moodle -- to deep to extract till you're lucky.

I suggest that in the Moodle download page, just the way we have an option to download Modules, there should be an option for Blocks - along with the development status. If the Block is a contrib or under trial, so be it - it should be mentioned so. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anil Sharma

Re: why can't blocks be downloaded from one page ??

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Anil,

You're right about blocks being difficult to find. However, as Martín L would say, good things come to those who wait wink... in this case, the database module in 1.6 and AFAIK  a place for storing blocks. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Helen,

Are you sure this is the purpose of the database module? My understanding was that this new module will allow one to build her own custom surveys. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that's wrong (since you seem to be much more on the ball in all things Moodle than I am smile) but I don't see the relationship between the database module and a repository for blocks. By the way, if there were a repository, I think it should include not only blocks but also non-standard modules as well.

A while ago I heard Martin talking about a repository like that being in the works and I even heard that Eloy was working on it. But I haven't heard any mention to this project for a while.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Josep,

AFAIK the database module will have many uses, including a repository for contrib code. (Please check Martin's replies in the discussions Software repository in Moodle?, Repository area for code snippets and hacks and WebCT CE4 -> Moodle course import script.) smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Helen.

I knew I would be wrong. You are really a walking Moodle encyclopedia smile.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Helen Foster -
Hmm, perhaps I need to get out more often.
Attachment computer_cat.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Josep M. Fontana -
smilesmilesmilesmile Tha'ts funny, Helen. It's the way  I imagined it big grin I'm not a cat but I also need to get out more often.

Also, thanks Samuli. Now I think it is clear to me that the Database module is just the module that is going to be used to implement the repository.

Josep M.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Samuli Karevaara -
My understanding is that the Database module would be "Software repository" in the same sense as the Glossary module could be. There could be a Glossary here listing all the blocks and their associated download packages as attachments.

With the Database module there will be more options to make it "more so", but it still isn't stricly a software or blocks repository.
In reply to Anil Sharma

by Timothy Takemoto -
I was really surprised today to find that there is nowhere todownload blocks. I wanted to the social activities block. I still have not found it!

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Julian Ridden -
Something to be aware of, we have two streams of blocks. Official release and a hell-of-alot-of contrib pieces.

From what Martin has told me he has been holding off to get it all sorted into the database module which seams to be in final stages.

This databse will also allow for storage of all other items including
- modules
- desktop apps
- wallpapers
- etc

In the meantime, be sure to check the CVS for blocks. Either in the main or contrib and you will find most there.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks Julian

Gotcha.

Thanks to advice here, I had tortoiseshell CVS running a while back and I was really impressed. Another must have.

But lately when I try to use it I seem to have lost my password. It does not seem to be the same one as for sourceforge. I wonder what proportion of moodlers have CVS transfers up and running 

I look forward to the database module.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Here is a link to an older discussion re: finding blocks:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28901

Can we clear up some confusion here? It is my understanding that the database module is not going to be a "software repository", rather it is a module for creating forms. I asked Martin to consider changing the name since it is soooo confusing. Anyway, it is my understanding that the database module is for creating a "repository" of information collected via form fields.  So, how that would be used as a "software repository" is beyond me.

So, what about the Document Management System--could it be considered a "repository".  Please, someone help me understand.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Jan Dierckx -

I second your request to change the name, perhaps something like Mother of All Modules better describes what it can be used for. It is indeed a module which allows a teacher to create a form which is then filled and submitted by students.

Chardelle, just imagine the possible entry fields you could put inside the form:

• (upload file field) to upload the code for the block

• (textfield) name of the block

• (option list) is block primarily meant for teacher / student / admin ?

• (textarea) description of installation / usage

• (upload file field) screenshot of the block

• (checkbox) can be used inside activity modules

• (dropdown list) category: educational value / mainly esthetical /

• (checkbox) available language packs

• ratings

• number of downloads

• etc...

This could clearly be used for a repository as well...

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Yes, but I still don't see how it would be used as a place from which to download the blocks (similar to the module downloads now), unless users could attache a file that others could access. And where would the number of downloads come from? Or has the database module been really really updated since I looked at it a few months ago--it wasn't that sophisticated.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
There can/will be a field type for uploaded files - technically these will be stored in the moodle data directory not in the database but they will be handled by the database module.

The available fields will be pluggable so developers can create all sorts of data types eg a phone number field may be a standard text field but with some validation added.

Yu can probably elaborate on this a little more as he's the one that is doing the bulk of code for the database module.