Grading - Natural Agregation not calculating correctly

Grading - Natural Agregation not calculating correctly

de către Zhivko Z-
Număr de răspunsuri: 12

Moodle 3.1.2

I am trying to use Natural Aggregation in Grading.

1. Five Question Quiz

2. Each Question has a Weight of 20

3. Four correct answers and one wrong - 80%  correct

2 Questions:

1. Why the Total Grade is calculated 20%?

2. Why there is nothing in Contribution to course total (very far on the right)?

Please see the attached picture.

Thanks

Atașament Natural Agregation Grading.PNG
Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

Re: Grading - Natural Agregation not calculating correctly

de către Tim Hunt-
Imaginea Core developers Imaginea Documentation writers Imaginea Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaginea Peer reviewers Imaginea Plugin developers

This is really a question about the Gradebook, so I will move this thread to that forum.

Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

de către Emma Richardson-
Imaginea Documentation writers Imaginea Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaginea Plugin developers

Because you are including empty grades in the course total.  The quiz is only worth 20% of the total grade.  Go to your gradebook settings and check the box Exclude Empty Grades.

Not sure about the contribution to course total not showing.  Not enough information to guess at that one. 

Ca răspuns la Emma Richardson

de către Zhivko Z-

Thank you Emma! I excluded empty grades and it works for the Final Quiz questions.

However, I have two more questions:

1. In the case at the first picture I sent - what would be considered an empty grade, and what is the formula, which calculates 20% for Final Quiz?

2. In the picture bellow - why is the Course Total grade still 20% (third picture) if:

a. I have set it up to exclude the empty grades as well

b. This Final Quiz grade is set up at 100 weight

c. all other quizzes and assignment have 0 weight

Atașament 3.PNG
Atașament Nat Agr. Grading 2.PNG
Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

Imaginea Documentation writers Imaginea Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaginea Plugin developers

Empty grade is any grade where nothing has been entered.  Without seeing the entire gradebook, I cannot tell which grades were affecting.

As for your second question, the screenshots do not make sense so I would guess that maybe you have a custom calculation for the course total.

de către Zhivko Z-

Emma, 

What you see is the entire grade book. Would you please take a closer look:

1.       Final Quiz is a separate category. As you can see - all this category has is 5 quiz questions -  4 answered correctly, 1 answered incorrectly. There are no other items in this category, the other 3 (one assignment and 2 quizzes) are uncategorized. Why if I allow empty grades in this category – that changes the total grade of the category from 80% to 20%... and I don’t see an empty grade? What would be an empty grade in this particular case?

2.       Now, I’m getting the correct calculation for the category Final Quiz. However, I am still getting 20% for the Course Total grade. Where can I potentially see the custom calculation you are mentioning for the Course Total grade? I see that I can probably enter another formula by doing this: https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Grade_calculations but I would like to see if I can just correct the current one, don’t really want to create further complications.

Thanks

Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

25 questions in the student report was an empty grade.

The basic moodle calculations should not allow for this scenario which leads me to think that 

1.  There are hidden items or something I am not seeing that is also affecting the grade.

2.  A custom calculation seems likely.

Oh, another thought - did you check Exclude Empty Grades at the course level as well as at the category level?

This is one of those situations where I greatly miss the old Advanced View of the gradebook which on one page, would show you everything affecting the grade.  Now, to see what is going on, you have to go into the edit menu of each individual grade item.  

de către Zhivko Z-

Emma,

1.       I did disable empty grades by going to Gradebook Setup – clicking Edit Settings (under Actions) for the COURSE. Then, I see the following screen (the second new picture I’m attaching). Is this the only thing I need to do in order to disable empty grades for the Course?

2.        Is this the screen (the first new picture) where I should enter a new formula for the Course Total Grade? If I enter new formula here – is it going to overwrite everything else?

Thanks again

Atașament Course Total Calculation.PNG
Atașament Course Total Grade setup.PNG
Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

Ok, you do not have a custom calculation so leave that alone.  

Did you get to that screen by the clicking on the Edit by the Course Total?

If so, then something else is not right - hard to tell what.  What version of Moodle are you using?  This is all set to Natural grading?

de către Zhivko Z-

It is Moodle 3.1.2.

The course is Natural and the Final Quiz category is Natural. I don't see aggregation setting for the other 3 items, they are uncategorized. But they have 0 weight, and the Final Quiz category has 100 weight.

1. I set the Course on Natural by clicking here: the second new picture I'm attaching. This takes me to the second one from the previous 2 pictures.

2. I get to the calculation page (the first picture from the previous 2) by clicking here: the first picture from the newest ones. Are you saying I shouldn't enter any calculation formula here??

Atașament Course Total Calculation Click.PNG
Atașament Course Total Click.PNG
Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

Well, dang it, that is the average column that is showing 20%, not the final grade column.  The final grade column is not showing a grade because you probably have it set to not show totals if there are hidden items and your third item is hidden.  Sorry, my brain must be frozen with our subzero temps we have had this weekend!!

de către Zhivko Z-

Thank you so much Emma!

This explains the mystery and solved the problem. I deleted the hidden quiz, set up the course to show totals excluding hidden items, and hided the Average, I didn't really need the Average.

One more question:

Please take a look at the Gradebook report now. Why nothing is shown on the 2 bottom right fields - Contribution to course total ?

Atașament Grader Report no average.PNG
Ca răspuns la Zhivko Z

I think that field is just to show what each assignment contributes to the course total, not the categories.