Base and canvas themes gone in 3.2

Base and canvas themes gone in 3.2

by Fred Yankowski -
Number of replies: 2

We have a dozen themes installed that depend on either the 'base' or 'canvas' theme. While testing upgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.2.0 I find that those latter two themes are no longer available and so the dozen dependent themes cannot be upgraded and therefore block the overall upgrade.

Is there some way to install the base and canvas themes again? Or do I have to uninstall and retire those dozen themes?

The release notes say "Themes Base and Canvas have been deprecated and also removed from the standard Moodle 3.2 package. These themes can not be used by themselves but they may be used as parent themes". That makes it sound like they are still available as "parent themes" but how can I do that and keep the dozen dependent themes working?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred Yankowski

Re: Base and canvas themes gone in 3.2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

So sorry for the delay, but if you go to the Plugins repositiry, you will find both Base & Canvas themes ready to install or download.

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_base

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_canvas

There was a problem late last night as I had missed off some required information, which has now been added and both themes approved.

Please accept my  apologies.

If you have any problems with either theme or the old themes you are still using, then please let me know as I am the maintainer of these themes.

Thank you

Mary Evans

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Base and canvas themes gone in 3.2

by Fred Yankowski -

Aha. Thank you. I checked the plugins repo yesterday and did not find them. I see them now and will install them.

I plan to encourage our teachers to move away from the old themes so that we can remove them and stop supporting them as optional plugins in our site.