How to develop a translation tool

How to develop a translation tool

by Gary Evans -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

We want to develop a solution to enable crowd-sourced, peer reviewed translations on a Moodle platform and are looking for help.

Up until recently we have been using Duolingo Translations

The advantage of this platform is that content which has a creative commons license such as Wikipedia can be translated sentence for sentence in the crowd, helping learners improve their language skills. This can result in high-quality translations and would benefit both students and institutions by translating content students can learn from.

It's not an open source solution though and US law now forbids us using this outside of the USA. We are also keen to integrate open source CAT tools, especially translation memories and term bases.

We now have a budget of 50,000 euros for this project, so we have funds to cover costs.

I can be contacted on this forum or at gary.evans@fh-aachen.de

Many thanks in advance,

Gary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Evans

Re: How to develop a translation tool

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If this is a job advert, then please post it to: https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=54

If, however, this is something you are working on yourself, but want advice for a starting point, then it sounds like you probably want to start with: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Activity_modules (assuming you want this to be an activity within a course).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Gary Evans -
Thanks Davo, it's not a job, although we have a budget for expenses, so I'll look into your link.
In reply to Gary Evans

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Which law are you referring to?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Gary Evans -

Item 19 of the Terms states:

Temporary Restrictions on Users from the European Union

Users within the European Union are not presently allowed to submit materials for translation or translated materials to Duolingo. While these users can continue to use the educational services offered through the Website, they will not be involved in the translation of any documents. If you submit a request for translation or translated materials to Duolingo, you thereby warrant and represent that you are not currently within the European Union, did not translate the document within the European Union, and will not be within the European Union when your translation request has been finalized.

In reply to Gary Evans

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That looks like the terms and conditions of a product or service rather than relating to a law and I am curious if it is purely a T&C or if it is related to an actual law. I have been interested in "intellectual property" for a long time and in particular the implications for Free Libre and Open Source software,  documentation and services.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Robert Brenstein -
Their T&C might be related to the toughened copyright laws in EU, particularly with respect to e-copies. I am in Germany and we have to hide from students all copyrighted materials in our Moodles before 1.1.17. After new year, instructors have to follow new regulations on obtaining permissions for each document before they make them available again.