Essential Theme: How can I make a course block stay in Top Page region by default?

Essential Theme: How can I make a course block stay in Top Page region by default?

by Danu Nah -
Number of replies: 3

I have found in Moodle help that default course blocks can be defined via config.php using this line:

$CFG->defaultblocks_override =  'block_name:another_block_name';

Semicolon means blocks to the left will be on the left side and vice versa. So far, so good. But how on earth can I force a block, for all new courses,  to be in the specific Essential Theme region: top or header position, for example.

Help urgently needed! Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Danu Nah

Re: Essential Theme: How can I make a course block stay in Top Page region by default?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can dictate where a block is placed when you set it up. With editing on go into the block settings on a course page and then select the position you want the block to be on  for "THIS PAGE" and "OTHER PAGES" as there are two lots of settings. You have to do this in the block itself so that will require you to edit all the blocks on your course page.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Essential Theme: How can I make a course block stay in Top Page region by default?

by Danu Nah -

Thank you, Mary,

I have solved this problem by adding the block to the frontpage custom region (show on every page), and then by going to a course and changing the block's settings to be shown only on course main pages. Intuitive and elegant.

In reply to Danu Nah

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sounds great!

Cheers