Do you understand "Default" and "Proficient" when configuring the scales?

Do you understand "Default" and "Proficient" when configuring the scales?

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I was just wondering (following a discussion in the French forums) how intuitive it is for those of you using competencies to understand the meaning of "Default" and "Proficient" when setting up your competency framework? I mean, when you set it up and you click the button to configure scales here..

... and then you see this:

Is this clear to you without needing to look at the help popups? I'm interested to know, because there is a discussion going on in French about changing the terms in the French language pack. (I'm not saying any more because I don't want to influence people's replies here - just curious smile )

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Do you understand "Default" and "Proficient" when configuring the scales?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Mary,

No, the wording was not clear to me. I had to look it up.

This is the same wording from the competencies in Totara, and I had to look it up the first time I used that too. Obviously, I had not remembered the meanings from last time I used them smile

Once you understand what the terms means, they are clear and easy to work with.

But I am not someone who works in this area a lot. I am not sure what the usual nomenclature is for people who design and work with competencies regularly. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Max Brouwer -

No and even with the pop-up it is vague.

The way I understand it now is that the default setting is the grade you receive when a competency is automatically achieved (e.g. a student completes activities that complete the course competency). 

For me there is a big issue with this because I set it wrong. E.g. I have: "Not completed", "failed"  and "passed". I set Not Completed to default (as I thought everybody would get "Not Completed" until they would do activities). However, what actually happened is people received "Not completed"  when they completed the activities. I am now unable to change this because the competency is tied to something (i removed it from courses and learning plans and I am still unable to change it). 

In reply to Max Brouwer

by Bert van der Hooft -

L.s.

I'm confused:

• The learning plan states that a competency has a competent rating (using not yet and competent scale)
  • The column proficient states "no"
  • The header of the learning plan states that zero competencies are proficient.
  • I do not know how to get the proficient on "yes" What drives this? How, when and where?

Bert

In reply to Bert van der Hooft

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I presume you read the related section on the [Competencies FAQ]] on the difference between default and proficient? I have found the same, that if you make a mistake with the settings, you can't go back and change them unfortunately.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bert van der Hooft -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I can't it clear what drives the proficiency boxes in the learning plan of a student. Is it a completed learning activity, a grade? Is it the proficiency level in the setup of the taxonomy (in the set up of the competence framework)?

Bert

In reply to Bert van der Hooft

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bert,

I happened to be the guy who did some of the quality assurance testing for Competencies just before the release of Moodle 3.2. I think that one or two of the step-by-step directions might be of use in figuring out the answer to your question.

The whole list of tests is at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLQA-9827. I find it helps to run a pertinent test any time I have a question about a part of Moodle I'm having trouble understanding. I search that link using Firefox > Edit > Find then enter a key word such as competencies.

This one, https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLQA-10334, might be a good place to start. If you contact me via private message, I can even give you access to the test site I used during testing.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

My experience:

At the beginning I was confused. Please give a description (use case) and explanation of how to set the parameters of competency system. Especially choices "Do nothing, Attach evidence, Send for review, the Complete competency" are extremely important, and the documentation is missing, at least I did not find it.

Tnx Bohus