A Moodle theme based on Bootstrap 3

A Moodle theme based on Bootstrap 3

by James B -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I'm trying to work on a Moodle 3.0 theme based on Bootstrap 3.  https://github.com/moodle/moodle/tree/master/theme/bootstrapbase that comes with Moodle however is Bootstrap 2.

Is there a similar base theme for Bootstrap 3?

(I found one but multiple columns didn't work on a narrow screen mixed )

Thanks,
James
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James B

Re: A Moodle theme based on Bootstrap 3

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Bas Brands' theme_bootstrap is the one I use as a parent for my Bootstrap3 based theme - its the closest we have to a Bootstrap3 'base' theme. Although watch out in Moodle3.2 for the new Boostrap4 based Boost theme smile

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by James B -

> Bas Brands' theme_bootstrap is the one I use

I had multi-column issues with this one. Will look again ....

> Although watch out in Moodle3.2 for the new Boostrap4 based Boost theme

Does this mean https://github.com/moodle/moodle/tree/master/theme/bootstrapbase will suddenly jump from 2 to 4? Or will it have a different name? mixed See, I would name the base bootstrap themes "bootstrap2", "bootstrap3" and "bootstrap4" - so theme designers who extend one aren't suddenly surprised.

In reply to James B

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Oh - I haven't come across any issues like that and I believe its used as the parent for a few themes (Elegance for example) as well as my Flexibase - although that actually uses flexbox to replace the bootstrap grids, so wouldn't have the same issues. I'm sure if you report any issues Bas would look at them - he is very active at maintaining this theme and ensuring it keeps track with the latest versions.

No, the new theme_boost is a completely new theme built on BS4 while bootstrapbase will continue as it is as the parent for clean, more and the series of themes that people have built on BS2 - no major changes to those in that respect! Boost will sit alongside bootstrapbase, clean and more for a few versions. Then if history repeats itself, clean and more will move to the plugins database, while bootstrapbase remains in place for another few versions, before that too is moved out. But please don't ask me to define 'few' - I have no idea and am only basing these assumptions on what has happened with the non-bootstrap themes smile

As for naming, well after some of the 'fun' I had initially with theme_bootstrap, I would keep the name of any upstream library such as 'bootstrap' out of the theme name altogether, as they have with boost smile

And, in fairness to HQ, there's no major surprises for theme developers - bootstrapbase will continue as it is with BS2 (they are only just now planning the removal of base having moved the older non-bootstrap themes out of core into the plugins database several versions ago); bootstrap3 was never officially supported by HQ, the theme_bootstrap is a third party development by Bas; boost is a new development and will be based on BS4. There is certainly no history of sudden jumps leaving previously developed themes unsupported, or of dropping theme support without plenty of warning (as in multiple versions).

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Base and Canvas have gone already from Moodle 3.2DEV (master) MDL-55837 the weekend before last I think it was.

I'm maintaining them at the moment. They will be in the Plugins directory as soon as the "Early Bird" season starts prior to Moodle 3.2 being released.

In reply to James B

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi James,

What kind of multi column problems exactly?  Was it a layout you created or one that was in the 'Bootstrap' theme?

Just curious.

Mary