BigBlueButton - can't get moodle to connect to server

Re: BigBlueButton - can't get moodle to connect to server

by Jesus Federico -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Justin,

>If I add it to moodle via LTI it seems to work, what could be causing the module not to work.

Both Moodle plugins work differently. 

When using the BigBlueButtonBN plugin, Moodle needs to communicate with the BBB for making the requests for creating the session and obtaining information from the session, also for  getting and managing the recordings. This is for giving some level of protection to the requests, which although are protected with a signed checksum, don't expose the URL used on BBB.

When using LTI, Moodle is passing the user/course/activity parameters to the LTI broker trough the browser, but the application that is really making the decisions and sending the requests to BigBlueButton is the LTI broker (bbb-lti, which in this case for good is installed in the same server).

In other words, Moodle doesn't talk to bbb-lti at all. You have access to it because it is accessed through the browser (you won't be able to access it from outside your network though).  bbb-lti can talk to bbb-web because it is the same server.

>I also have no idea how to record using LTI or give students access to the recordings

There are some custom parameters you can use. See: http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/install/lti.html#custom-parameters

For enabling recordings add record=true

Regards,

Jesus Federico

In reply to Jesus Federico

by Justin Cloete -
Hi

I did a google search and based on that I think I know what the problem is My moodle is installed on a dedicated server managed by a web Hosting company, the BigBlueButton server is located in our offices.

Is there any way to get the moodle and BBB server to communicate even though they are on different networks.
I have activated port forwarding on the BBB server and have pointed a subdomain to it.

I am able to access the demo conference via the subdomain and except for the fact that there is no record button on the demo the program seems to be functioning correctly. Thanks
In reply to Justin Cloete

by Fred Dixon -

Hi Justin,

If your moodle site is external to your network, ks it an option for you to host your BigBlueButton server externally as well?  That would be the easiest (and most effective) solution.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Developer