Show Categories of courses on Dashboard after sign in

Show Categories of courses on Dashboard after sign in

by Morten Abrahamsen -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

I have been struggeling the whole day with something that seems quite obvious

I have 2 categories of courses and I see this before i sign in

When i sign in i get to dashboard, but now I dont see the categories, only the list of courses.
I still need to see the categories on dashboard after sign in instead of a list of courses

There is an obvious setting called Fronpage where there are drop downs on what you want to display BEFORE sign in and AFTER Sign in

I have set both to Course Categories and NOT course list.

However as soon as a teacher has signed in, it still shows the course list

I have tried with native template and 2 other comercial versions.

I cant understand why i dont see the categories in dashboard after sign in

Any idea

Site is this: http://moodle.e-advice.dk

Regards

Morten

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Morten Abrahamsen

Re: Show Categories of courses on Dashboard after sign in

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Morton,

Did you ever find a way to display the categories on the dashboard?

Best regards,

Michael

In reply to Michael Milette

by Dave Emsley -

The only way I can see is a bit of editing of the theme dashboard.php file.

HTH
Dave

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The dashboard shows courses a student is already enrolled in, which is why it shows just the courses but you can make it display the categories of those courses by selecting the option in the Course overview block

You can also get the My courses link in the Navigation block to show categories by choosing Show course categories from Site admin>Appearance>Navigation.

Another option would be to add the Courses block to the centre of the dashboard for all users.  Until they are enrolled into at least one course they will see the course categories (  but that won't work so well once they are enrolled in a course.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In case anyone else needs ever this...

I ended up using the Courses block. At first I thought it was only listing courses until I added more than one category. It then stopped listing courses and only listed top level categories instead which suited my needs perfectly.

If your Moodle theme includes support for centre section blocks, you can just drag and drop your Courses block into that section of your page. Add a little custom CSS to Moodle and you can actually make it look great.

Best regards,

Michael Milette

Average of ratings: Useful (2)