Certificate Module

Certificate Module

by Malcolm Houston -
Number of replies: 66
Hi

Can anyone tell me where i get certificate module. Any links i found to it are not working

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Malcolm Houston

Re: Certificate Module

by David T. Cannon -

Last release is at:

http://whatalife.com/certificate_1.1.zip

Dave.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David T. Cannon

by Jared Lelos -

Dave,

I am using version 1 and its been working fine so far is there any need for me to upgrade to 1.1 (ie what changes have been made).

Also where did you get the certificate borders? I would like to add in a few or maybe make my own and was wondering what the specifications were.

Thanks a lot

Jared

In reply to Jared Lelos

by David T. Cannon -

Jared,

Version 1.0 and 1.1 are identical, I just commented out the activity locking, so people have to uncomment those lines to use activity locking. It seemed like the best approach since some people are not using activity locking and I am getting alot of mail why there are getting errors.

The borders were scanned by me from my own certificates, and some posted on moodle forum. So, I dont know where to send you for more....

Dave.

by Jeff Hookham -

Hi David,

Even though in version 1.1 of the Certificate module the activity locking is commented out do I still have to have the Activity Locking module installed in order to use the Certificate module? (sorry if this is a dumb question)

I installed the Certificate module and am getting errors. The database tables installed OK but then I ran into problems with line 4 of the lib.php. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Hookham

by David T. Cannon -

No, You no longer need Activity Locking installed to use it. Can you tell me the error message you are receiving?

Dave.

by Jeff Hookham -

Dave,

The error message I'm getting is (using moodle 1.52+)

-------------------
Warning: main(/home/waiteru/public_html/elearning/lib/locklib.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/waiteru/public_html/elearning/mod/certificate/lib.php on line 4
-------------------

What I've done so far is download Certificate 1.1. Then I Uploaded the certificate folder under the mod folder in your zip file into my moodle mod folder. (Does that make sense smile Then I went to the admin page. The tables installed OK.

Thanks for your help Dave!!

Cheers,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Hookham

by David T. Cannon -

Jeff,

I forgot to commment out that line. Place a # in front of the line so it reads as follows in mod/certificate/lib.php:

#require_once($CFG->libdir.'/locklib.php');

Dave.

by Jeff Hookham -

Dave,

You DA man!

This Certificate module is very nicely done. I had the 1969 date problem but found an ealier post to help with that and now it is working like a dream. Thank you for all of your help.

Cheers,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Hookham

by Marilyn Godfrey -

I had heard the Certificate module was only available for the latest version of Moodle - 1.6. Does your comment then mean this certificate module will work in version1.5 as well?

Thanks!

Marilyn Godfrey

Re: Certificate Module - send an email

by Brett Drinkwater -
Hi Dave,

Thanks for all your hard work with this module!

I'd like to configure this so that it throws me an email whenever a student reaches the Certificate stage.  I'm just using php's mail() function in the view.php file, but I'm not sure which variables to include to get the email to tell me the users name, course name, date of completion.
I've noticed some functions in the lib.php file that are used to add to the log reports, could I use the variables in these functions or should I create some new variables for the fields that I require.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Brett Drinkwater
In reply to Brett Drinkwater

by David T. Cannon -

Brett,

If you want an email sent everytime a certificate if viewed, you can place that in the view.php file. If you want to send an email everytime a certificate is created(the first viewing), you need to place it in the lib.php.

I think you want the latter. In the lib.php, the last function, check_cert_exists, in the else{} switch, place your code to send email. You can use the following variables:

$user->firstname    user first name
$user->lastname     user last name
$view_time             certificate date
$course->fullname   course name

Dave.

by Brett Drinkwater -
Dave, you're a legend!

two days I spent on this and I should have sent a post to the forums in the first place........oh well, learnt a bit along the way!

Cheers
Brett

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Ciao
I am quite surprise. I can't understand.
- Why do I always get a field to enter the name of the student?
- Why don't I get the button only if I access the module as a student? Moodle already should know my name.
- Why don't I get a menu list of my course students in order to create a certificate for them if I access the module as teacher?

uuummmmm pensieroso
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by David T. Cannon -

Daniele,

It sounds like you have a custom version of the certificate module, that asks for the name to put on the certificate. I created this for a specific person/use.

You should get the general download at http://whatalife.com/certificate_1.1.zip

Dave.

by Alvin Shaffer -
What is the new box - Enter Student Name for? Seams like you can enter any name and generate a cert. Doesn't this defeat the purpose?

Vast: Re: Certificate Module - send an email

by Ari Ranta -
Hi David
Is this really the general module? I still get the Enter Name box.
Ari
In reply to Ari Ranta

Re: Vast: Re: Certificate Module - send an email

by David T. Cannon -

Im sorry, looks like I uploaded some source code I was working on for someone else. Please re-download the certificate module if you are being asked for the student name.

The changed file is the view.php

Dave.

by John walker -

Hi Dave,

how do i actually use the module? after insallation , i added a block. It ask me to enter a code to validate for the certicate. Cant figure out how to use it to generate a certicate for a particular course. Thanks!

In reply to John walker

by David T. Cannon -

The block/certificate is only used if you are printing validation codes on your certificate, so its optional.

You want to turn editting on when in a course, then add the mod/certificte from the pulldown. You can then customize the certificate as you like it.

Dave.

by Colin McQueen -
Is there a standard way of finding modules that are NOT in the standard release? Seems like you have to search forums to find attachments or links to other sites. I only ask because I was after this module and ended up looking at some wedding photos wink

Good work by the way David. Any thought about it being linked with the e-Portfolio module?
In reply to Colin McQueen

by David T. Cannon -

I dont have any plans at the moment to link it to the portfolio module. I am currently too busy to further develop the certificate module.

Dave.

by Marion de Groot -

Hi,

I really like this module! Good work! Just one wish: I would like the certificate to open in a new window; now  when a student clicks the link the certificate is shown in the browserwindow itself (in IE that is) and I loose all navigation. The only way to get back to my site is to hit the Back button of the browser..

thanks for your hard work making this good addition to Moodle

by Humair Syed -
I installed certificate module
when i click on a certificate link  on main page (after admin login) i get following errors

Warning: date(): Windows does not support dates prior to midnight (00:00:00), January 1, 1970 in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\moodle\mod\certificate\view.php on line 101

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\moodle\mod\certificate\view.php:101) in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\moodle\mod\certificate\fpdf\fpdf.php on line 1022
FPDF error: Some data has already been output to browser, can't send PDF file

any comments

regards.
syed
In reply to Humair Syed

by David T. Cannon -

Is this when you enter the certificate link from a course page? Looks like it.

Please read the README file in the download and see if that fixes your problem. If it does, or does not, please reply so others know the answer to this problem.

Rergards,

Dave.

Svar: Re: Certificate Module

by Anders Berggren -

Hi David,

After struggling a bit I finally managed to get
things working. It wasn't always easy to know
where all the pieces were supposed to go... tankfull
I made the change suggested in view.php but
in my file it was line 101 that should be commented
away. In index.php I found nothing to change.
Anyway, the certificates look real neat now.
Thanks a lot and Happy continuation of the New Year!
Cheers, Anders leende

Svar: Re: Certificate Module

by Anders Berggren -
I discovered that there were two index.php.
The one in blocks/certificate I could tweak.

Svar: Re: Certificate Module lang/sv

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

Here's the Swedish translation.

Cheers, Anders

In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: Certificate Module lang/sv

by Adam Wojciehowski -

Anyone know how to fix this error?

FPDF error: Alpha channel not supported: /home/elearntr/public_html/mod/certificate/pix/seals/SCEMSPatch.png

I attempted to upload a picture and replace it on the certificate and this came up.

Thanks!!!

In reply to Adam Wojciehowski

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Your images need to be PNG 8
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Adam Wojciehowski -
Got the pictures to work, but now I am trying to change the course title color.  Any suggestions on how can do that?

by Marion de Groot -

You'll have to customize certificate/view.php. To change the color of the title, you can use the SetTextColor() function. To make the title red (and then go back to black for the rest of the text) you would put this code in the case in the switch() that stands for the certificate type you want to change:

$pdf->SetTextColor(255,0,0);
    cert_printtext(170, 125, 'C', 'Helvetica', 'B', 30, get_string("title".$type, "certificate"));
 $pdf->SetTextColor(0); 

that should do the trick smile

by Stella Maris -

I'm having the same problem. I have the certificate module working beautifully, but when I try to change logos or seals. I get the same error message.

I created png files, but when I look at them on cpanel, they show they are 8 bit rgba instead of 8 bit colormap. How do I change this? I even copied some of the existing png files and changed them and they still say the same thing.

Stella Maris

by Loren Workman -
Im having a bit of trouble instaling this mod. I get

Warning: main(../../lib/fpdf/fpdf.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 13

Warning: main(../../lib/fpdf/fpdf.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 13

Warning: main(): Failed opening '../../lib/fpdf/fpdf.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 13

Warning: main(../../lib/fpdf/fpdfprotection.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 14

Warning: main(../../lib/fpdf/fpdfprotection.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 14

Warning: main(): Failed opening '../../lib/fpdf/fpdfprotection.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 14

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: fpdf_protection in /home/school/public_html/School/mod/certificate/view.php on line 145

When i want to look at a cert. i have created
In reply to Loren Workman

by Chardelle Busch -

by Loren Workman -
That was only part of the fix. When i wnet to add the file in to that fold. I found that fold didnt exsist, as well as others. I had installed it via cpanle/fresco. So i did a new install and it working fine.  

by Loren Workman -
Everything was working fine untill today, Today i go in and the cerificae it self isnt listing the Type, Info and statment. When I go in to the settings Type is blank with no listings. So i go in to the lang/en-us/certificate.php and the info is there.   

by Loren Workman -
I deleated and try reinstalling but im still not getting it to import the information on the certificat.

Im also haveing an issue with modulename on any new mod i add.

by Fred Robel -

When I create a certificate, I get the error "Could not add a new instance of certificate"

Not sure what that means.  Probably means I installed it wrong.

Any ideas?

In reply to Fred Robel

by Chardelle Busch -
Fred,

Please tell me what version of Moodle you are running (the latest certificate mod runs only with 1.6).

by Chardelle Busch -
Loren,

It sounds like you might be having problems with the new unicode lang files.  You might try going to Admin>Language and trying to fix the module names and other lang strings there.

by Fred Robel -
I am running moodle 1.6, on a stick setup.  I never got the proper installation confirmation when I went to admin either.  It does let me use it, it just gives me that error message after I configure a certificate.

by Michael C -

I'm not getting the pulldown for the certificate type, any ideas what's wrong with it?  I'm also getting [Title0]  [Intro0] and [statement]  how do I fix these?

Thanks,

Michael

In reply to Michael C

by Chardelle Busch -
Try putting the certificate lang file under the folder for the language you are using.

by sandro schuller -
Hello, I have problem, did I install the modulate certificate and he don't appear, do I want to create a certificate, as I can do to create one? Do I have to create a course?

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Verify Certificate Question

by Leonardo Terra -
You need to install Verify block. If you are using certificate 4.X family you can try http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=741
In reply to Leonardo Terra

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Leonardo Terra -

I’m not de developer of verify module, try to contact developer, because I don’t have this module installed in my test environment and developer can help you and if this have a bug his can solve also.

In reply to Deleted user

by Alistair McQuade -
It goes in the block folder, it is a block not a module.

Al
In reply to Alistair McQuade

Certificate Password Help Needed

by Murray Davis -
I have a couple 1.6.4 installations with the certificate module for 1.6. Works great except for one frustrating item:
On occasion, we have a user who misspells their name (yes, seriously) and we need to edit the certificate to show the correct name. I used to download the certificate in PDF and correct it using Adobe Professional or Illustrator. Since upgrading to 1.6.4 and the corresponding Certificate module, opening the files for editing requires a password.

Where do I find the password to change the files? It is not the site admin, the database or the user's password from my trials and errors.

Thanks
In reply to Murray Davis

Re: Certificate Password Help Needed

by Asana Draper -
I know this is an old post, but did you ever get a resolve on this? We are having the same issue...people misspelling their own names or using symbols and I can't seem to find the password to turn off security so I can edit the pdf.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated!

Thanks.
In reply to Deleted user

by Frances Taylor -

Winston...here's the answers to the email you sent that also relate to this post. I hope this information helps!

Winston - I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I don't log in to the main site often and just got this. For Question 1, you need to add the 'verify certificate' block to whichever page you want on your site that people can enter the certificate number into to verify it. I have this on my main page so that people can verify certificates without having to log in or be enrolled in courses.

2. Verify_Certificate folder should be installed in moodle/blocks as it is a block.

3. Putting it in the block folder and removing it from your mod folder and then installing it through the moodle/admin screen should take care of problem #3. I have permissions at 755 in my block folder.

This works off of the 'certificate issues' table in your database which is (I think) the same table the 'report' function of the certificate module itself works off of so assuming the certificate MODULE is installed correctly, this 'verify certificate' BLOCK should work correctly as well.

I hope this info helps. I will post in the forum too just to be sure you receive this.

Thanks, Fran

Providing Certificates Upon Passing a Test

by Verne Morland -

My Moodle hosting service has installed the Certificate module in my environment, but I need to know how to make access to the certificates conditional on achieving an 85% or higher grade on a final test (quiz).

I've read through a lot of stuff about conditional activities, activity locking, score locking, etc., but some of these techniques are hacks that are version specific and cannot be upgraded and none explain how they might be used in conjunction with the Certificate module.

This seems pretty fundamental to the concept of a certificate, namely, receiving a certificate *only* upon successful completion as demonstrated by test performance.  Step by step tips or links to relevant documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Verne

P.S. A couple of other, less critical questions that I would appreciate some help on are:

1. How can I add new signatures to Certificates?
  2. How can I add new logo images to Certificates?

Verne Morland
Managing Partner
ROI Learning Services
Dayton, OH USA

In reply to Verne Morland

Re: Providing Certificates Upon Passing a Test

by Leonardo Terra -

You provider probably is offering certificate module from moodle CVS, in this case you will get a code equivalent to Chardelle’s certificate 3.2.

Certificate 4.1 FAT offers this functionality, try to install that version.

To add logo and signatures you will need to place new logo and signature file inside proper folder.

In reply to Leonardo Terra

by Raymond Anderson -
Where is the proper folder? And is that folder only in 4.1 FAT?

Thanks.
In reply to Raymond Anderson

by gun slinger -
Hi,
Im trying to give a user a certificate on completion of a quiz, i used the lesson dependency trick where i linked the certificate activity to a dummy lesson mentioned here
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Certificate_module
But when i click on the lesson to view the certificate activity it displays a message saying
Navigation: first page not found
It should ideally display the certificate in a drop down. Can u help me out?
In reply to gun slinger

by Leonardo Terra -

If you need to do it after student passing a test try to install certificate 4.1 FAT.

Limit on Number of Certificate Types?

by Kevin Wiley -
We are using v 1.6 of the Certificate module. I have followed the instructions in the readme file, but cannot get it to accept more than 4 types of certificate. The certificate config screen shows the fifth type in the drop down, but in the preview window for the PDF an error message appears. I've done some basic troubleshooting and it is always the 5th certificate that causes the error, regardless of which certificate type that is. Any ideas
In reply to Kevin Wiley

Unable to delete certificates from course...Any ideas?

by Joshua Maluchnik -

I am able to generate Certificates, however, I am now unable to delete them from the list of course activities.  I hit the delete icon...then I am asked If I'm sure I want to delete the certificate..then I'm hung at /moodle/course/mod.php.  I'm using Certificate 3.2 on Moodle 1.8.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Multiple certificates

by Ben Miller -
Hello,

I want to say that the certificate module is great! I am wondering, is there any way to have a new certificate generated every time the course is passed? Right now once a user completes the course and gets their certificate, no matter how many times they take the course again they never receive a new certificate.

I would love to be able to have it NOT remember who has obtained a certificate and just issue a new certificate every time.

Thanks,

Ben

Problem

by Erin Bennett -
I get the following error whenever a student tries to view their certificate, and subsequently the teachers never receive an email that the student has copleted the course.

ERROR: Could not instantiate mail function. ERROR: Could not instantiate mail function. FPDF error: Some data has already been output to browser, can't send PDF file

Any suggestion are welcome
Cheers