Activity completion not work, Moodle 3.0, book learning activity

Activity completion not work, Moodle 3.0, book learning activity

by Annette Knobloch -
Number of replies: 7

Activity completion is not working properly, as reported by students. And as I can see, despite setting that student must access the activity for completion report to show up.  Some of these students are reliable. Is this a known issue?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annette Knobloch

Re: Activity completion not work, Moodle 3.0, book learning activity

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think there is a need for more information:  what activity, what the settings are, what your expectations are, whether it is consistent for all students or only showing up for a few people?  Quiz activity completion is more complicated than, say, feedback activity completion

As for reliable students, in my experience, even reliable people sometimes slip up or fail to read/follow directions...

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Robert Brenstein -
This assumes that you mean some other activity not the book resource, although you posted in the forum dedicated to the book resource.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Annette Knobloch -

I am talking about the Moodle Resource, Book. It stands alone, It is not embedded in a Moodle forum. I have activity completion set to student must view... There are no blue checks indicating completion for any of the students.

by Melanie Scott -

I doubt you'll like this answer...they have to view every page in the Book resource to get a check.  I tested this on my site.  I have a (extensive) FAQ.  The point is that users can access the FAQ and get answers to specific questions.  For that reason, I don't have completion set it the course.  But to learn more about Moodle, I turned it on and gave it a shot, based on what you said. 

Sure enough, opening the book resource and even clicking a few pages does not get a check.  However, if you click on every page, a check will appear.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Annette Knobloch -

I   do like the answer. But I had a few students stating they did go through all 3 pages. I looked back at the settings, and I had set navigation to Taboel of Contents only. Based on a post, in Workshop, this Moodle site, I recalled something about students have to exit properly, for completion to show up. There as no exit or escape link at the last page. So I went back to the Sandbox, tried different settings, logged out as faculty, in as hypothetical students:

• one student with navigate set to image. This showed up as arrows only, with the last arrow, on the last page, pointing somewhat downward, not horizontally.
  • a different student with navigate set to text. This had words, and arrows. The word on the last page was Exit.

Both those options worked, and the blue check showed up for each student. This took time on my part, logging in, logging out, as my self, then as two different hypothetical students. Not to mention the  time it took, in the past, and now with Moodle update to 3.0, to persistently defend the case of why hypothetical students were needed (weeks, to months; not hours or days!).  So that preliminary work made possible the current resolution to the problem.

by Melanie Scott -

I'm glad it helped.  You're follow-up information is interesting.  I didn't consider different Book set-ups.  All mine are pretty much the same...I had no idea there was an option that added an Exit button.  Interesting!

by Melanie Scott -

That should say your follow up information is interesting.  Either my fingers have gone insane or the computer keeps switching you're for your.  Grr.  Really cheesing me off.