Essential theme on Moodle 3.1.1+ - Images are blowing out of the course area.

Essential theme on Moodle 3.1.1+ - Images are blowing out of the course area.

by roshan kolar -
Number of replies: 16

Hi, 

Would appreciate a quick help as we are rolling our Moodle 3.1.1+ with the latest Essential theme in few weeks. The theme is great so far. But for some reason, whereever we used images before, that fit really well are are little blown out and I find sliders under the image. I think previously it would fit them well to the exact course column/area but now it realises the image is a wee bit big and sliders appear. To make my point clear, kindly check the snapshot I created of an "After" and "before" of a module. This applies to all images used as course image/icon, images within the course.

The courses that can be seen on the front page, images are way bigger.

------------------------------

Images on courses have sliders, and it's everywhere.

I somehow feel it's a small fix, some kind of width thing. I'm not really sure to what to do and where. Let me know if you get the issue, or if I missed anything.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to roshan kolar

Re: Essential theme on Moodle 3.1.1+ - Images are blowing out of the course area.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

By 'slider' do you mean 'scroll bar'?

Probably not theme related but editor: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=336296.

And the usual question: What version of the theme are you using?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential theme on Moodle 3.1.1+ - Images are blowing out of the course area.

by roshan kolar -

Hi Gareth, 

I'm using the latest essential theme as mentioned, that is Release 3.1.0.8 (Build: 2016061707)
And yes, by sliders I meant scrollbars (horizontal). 

I'm checking your link at the moment. Thanks. Will let you know.

by roshan kolar -

Hi Gareth, 

FYI, before upgrading to the latest Moodle 3.1.1+ and Essential theme for the same, I had ATTO editor. And it all worked fine. 
Now even if I disable ATTO and use TinyMCE, the result is the same, with horizontal scrollbars. 

Thanks.

In reply to roshan kolar

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Roshan,

Please list in full detail the steps I need to replicate both problems.

Also the first problem looks from the screen shot as a 'course summary' and nothing to do with 'modules'.

G

by roshan kolar -

Hi Gareth,

I'm sorry my terminologies are confusing you. We call our courses modules, so I'm kind of used to that. Yes, the course image in the first screenshot looks big after the update. This has happened to all courses in our moodle. That's not much of a concern though at the moment, the horizontal scroll bars are. 

The images we use for all courses/modules as the header (Leisure and Visitor Attraction Management banner in this case) is 547px wide and 122px high. Which used to fit in well previously and now I get the scroll bars. I tried the theme settings, page width and couldn't find anything that helps. 

Am I still being vague? I'm attaching a sample image here with the h&w of the banner being used inside the course/module. 

Thanks Gareth.

Label

In reply to roshan kolar

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Roshan,

Software development is a precise science and I use the Moodle terms of things to be certain that both parties are talking about the same thing.

Thanks for the image and explanation, but I still don't know how to replicate the problem you are having because you've not told me how you have added the image.  It could be the section summary, a label..... therefore, I repeat "Please list in full detail the steps I need to replicate both problems.".

Please help me to help you!

G

by roshan kolar -

Hi Gareth,

The image is added in the Course Summary, assuming you know how to do that by clicking the setting icon. 

The same happens even if you add it as a LABEL. (Add activity, Label, insert image...) 
The size of the label is 547px width and 122px height. 

All images you see on the screengrab are images added on label with the size mentioned. It used to fit in well before. 

Thanks.

In reply to roshan kolar

by S. Ali -

Hello Gareth, Roshan, Mary,

I was able to replicate the issue by using a standard 3-colum layout (Use a standard course layout theme_essential | layout - box checked) and uploading the image supplied by Roshan in a previous post, to the Course Summary area at the top of a Course page.

A horizontal scroll bar does appear.

I noticed that if I changed the  padding in the setting:

#page #page-content #region-main, #page #page-content div[role="main"], .pagelayout-redirect #page-content #region-main, .pagelayout-redirect #page-content div[role="main"] {
    padding: 2px 9px;

to 9px (or less) from the original 10px the scroll bar goes away.

Perhaps this may shed some light on resolving the issue.

Regards,

s.ali

In reply to S. Ali

by roshan kolar -
Hi Ali,

Glad to know that you could replicate the issue. I tried experimenting the padding values. (Attached screenshot) However I did not see the scrollbars going off when you tweak the padding values, it remained there. I did this on 'inspect element' in chrome. 

But happy to know the issue is not only with me.

Attachment Untitled-1 copy.JPG
In reply to roshan kolar

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Roshan,

Ok, that is good to know, but in order to be able to fix this I need to be able to replicate the issue in the same way that you've discovered the problem by.  Thus, and with respect I don't know how many times I have to ask this, but "Please list in full detail the steps I need to replicate both problems."!!!!!  What do I need to do to get you to tell me this!!!!  Why will you not do this?  Why will you not spend such relatively little time doing this?  I'm offering to fix it if only you'd tell me the exact steps to replicate it.  Pulling my hair out in frustration.

Regards,

Gareth

In reply to roshan kolar

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Roshan,

I know how to do a lot of things in Moodle.  However, replicating issues must be done in a way that is completely repeatable in the way that the reporter discovered the issue in the first place.  Thus not second guessing what they did and therefore perhaps finding something else that appears to be the same, fixing it but then discovering that in actuality that it is not.  Therefore I repeat "Please list in full detail the steps I need to replicate both problems."!  I'm not asking this because I'm bored or being pedantic, I'm asking this because I'm a software engineer and it is the information I know I need.

Can you confirm that it does happen in ATTO and TinyMCE?

Regards,

Gareth

In reply to roshan kolar

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Perhaps you have a different width setting than you had before?  Have you checked Essential > General settings for page widths? There are a number of these that range from fixed to variable widths.

Also you may have the theme setting for the scrollbar...which adds auto scrolling...which could be the problem?

Just a thought?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by roshan kolar -

Hi Mary,

I checked all settings. Every setting is the same as it was before and I even changed it to see if it fixes my problem but nothing works. 
Thanks for the help. The worst part is that I have a lot of scrollbars on every course page and it look chaotic. I liked the fact that images used to fit well to the course/module column pretty fine even if the image were wider than the column. 

Thanks again.

In reply to roshan kolar

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

is there any chance I could get access to your Moodle site to see what's happenings?

If so can you send url in a message?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, I had another look at this with the information available above and:

1. I can replicate the course issue but it is because of MDL-55185 as already stated in: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=339474#p1367897.  I think the padding mentioned by S. Ali (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=339474#p1372513) is not really the solution but rather the wrong direction to take.  Yes it can appear to solve the problem, but as soon as you test different resolutions then the scroll bar comes back.
  2. I cannot find fault with the course summary image, working and being responsive as it should.

G

In reply to Mary Evans

by roshan kolar -

Hi Mary,

I managed to create a manager account for you in a test module. I have some images there currently with scrollbars, you can investigate them. Like I said, we never got scrollbars in our 2.8 Moodle, it used to autofit to the area. I really hope you are able to find whats wrong. Really appreciate your time. 

Sent the details in a message to you.