Impact of migrating without moodledata

Impact of migrating without moodledata

by Daniel Regala -
Number of replies: 4
Hello and good day!

I just want to ask what are the impacts of migrating without the moodledata and only the database?

Thank you in advance!

With regards,

Dan

Some might be useful notes:
We are migrating from 2.3 to 2.7.

Both systems CentOS 6

Database is MariaDB

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Regala

Re: Impact of migrating without moodledata

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You would not have anything that was uploaded as a file (e.g. documents uploaded as assignment submissions).

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

As Marcus said, you won't have any files ever uploaded by anyone.

You will also lose any custom language strings you have changed or added to language packs.

Most importantly though, your site will still have all the references to all those uploaded files. The site will mostly appear normal, but when users click on any file link, they will break., since there are no files. If your courses are filled with lots of file resources, that will be a big issue. You may want to consider going through the database to clean that up if you can.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can I ask why you would even want to do that?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Can think of only one case ... and it's got some catch 22's .... testing/verifying a plugin install/upgrade would not require moodledata/filedir.   Once the site stood up one would have to make sure they did nothing involving files uploaded for content etc..

The only time I've done this is when I had no other place to do it. :\

Not recommended unless one knows what NOT to do. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken