Angular/Ionic 2

Angular/Ionic 2

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,
I am curious, is there any plan at HQ to port the Moodle app to Angular/Ionic 2? 

AngularJS 1.5 feels outdated:

* more complex to understand than Angular 2 (let alone React or Polymer)
* less fun than Angular 2 (let alone React or Polymer)
* coders may feel like they have to work with a "deprecated" technology (as the Google team is pushing for Angular 2). Knowing that, investing resources in creating a mobile remote addon in Angular 1.5 may not be encouraging addon development.
* Ionic is also pushing forward Ionic 2, they may cooperate to have the Moodle app ported to Angular 2. HQ should contact them, they may be interested by some collaboration/funding/... 
* From what I understand, Ionic is pushing toward progressive app. It is likely they will focus on Ionic 2.

Anyway, congrats to the mobile team for their work.

Cheers,
Jerome

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jérôme Mouneyrac

Re: Angular/Ionic 2

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jerome,

happy to see you around here again smile

Well, we don't have plans to upgrade to Ionic 2 in the short-term, main reasons are:

• We are now pretty familiar with Ionic 1, so we are more productive
  • Switching to a different framework (and probably language in this case) means time to mastering it
  • We must master it because Ionic 2 is very different, so we'll have to migrate our complex directives and features
  • Ionic 2 is still beta
  • Ionic 1 is still well maintained
  • Angular 2 is not deployed and tested like version 1.5
  • Angular 1.5 is very stable
  • We have now lots of protractor tests for Ionic 1
  • We must assure that a framework change like this is transparent for the user, this means a very delicate process of testing etc..
  • It will take a lot to switch to Ionic 2, right now we have other priorities (like adding more and more interesting functionalities in the app and supporting more modules)

So basically, I don't see Ionic 2 this year neither the next one. I think that we must focus in what the users wants, like the requirements we retrieved from the Learn Moodle MOOC

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Angular/Ionic 2

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -

Thanks for explaining Juan. These are some sound reasons to stay on Angular 1.

Cheers,

Jerome