Moodle Hosting Resource Limits Passed

Moodle Hosting Resource Limits Passed

ved Domnick Andrew -
Antal besvarelser: 9

Hi,

I'm currently building a moodle site however the moodle installation is on a godaddy economy/shared plan of 512Mb and I'm frequently getting a message about over resource limits.

After review I saw that moodle needs a recommended minimum of 1Gb of memory to operate.

My associate would like to upgrade the godaddy plan however I feel that is still not going to work out well since there plans go up to a max of 2Gb of memory with restrictions still I/O file usage limits.

After consideration I think it will be better to move to a Cloud VPS:

Spec Sheet:

3 x 2.5GHz CPUs, Cache 4096 KB
4 GB RAM
3 GB Bandwidth
75 GB SSD
2 Dedicated IP
CENTOS 6.8 x86_64
Apache 2.4
PHP 7
Cpanel WHM 58.0 (build 19) Included
Softaculous Included (for moodle updating)

The moodle site will host under 200 students for now.

I'm interested in hearing the community feedback on this, and any other recommendations on upgrading and improving my moodle site.

Gennemsnitsbedømmelse: -
I svar til Domnick Andrew

Re: Moodle Hosting Resource Limits Passed

ved Rick Jerz -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Testers

I have been running my moodle on a GoDaddy VPS for several years.  I currently have a 3GB VPS, about 125 students in a typical semester, about 6 courses, and it works quite well.

I have not experience with the Cloud VPS.

If you get a VPS, consider installing moodle yourself.  I don't recommend the Softaculous method.  On the GoDaddy VPS, don't expect GoDaddy to help with your Moodle install either.  GoDaddy is a server provider, not a moodle provider.  

I svar til Rick Jerz

ved Domnick Andrew -

Thanks, my associate managed to go with a 3GB vps from the shared account that was paid up to 2019 so we are testing out godaddy vps for the next 3 months based on that transfer.

ved Usman Asar -
Billede af Plugin developers Billede af Testers

Domnick, I just saw you mentioning Softaculous, for updating Moodle.

Never, ever even think about that, always do the manual install.

Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (1)
I svar til Usman Asar

ved Howard Miller -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Documentation writers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Peer reviewers Billede af Plugin developers

^^^ What he said. 

Real men/women don't use Softaculous or any other "one click" installer for that matter. Not for a production site. You are pressing the "I don't know what I'm doing" button blinker

ved Ken Task -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers

The only time I've seen Moodle require less is when it starts to fade ... meaning, teachers choose to use something else and if that something else is perceived as being better, then usage declines.

Sounds like, however, in your brief description of usage ... "under 200 students for now" means there are aspirations that the number of students will increase ... usage will increase ... and, depending upon course content (like a Digital Photography Class - a DPC) and how courses are designed (DPC, for example, has one assignment for students to take 6 photos with 6 different lense settings/exposures and submit them all.   Each photo somewhere between 1.5Meg and higher ... probably no higher than 2Meg.   Do the math on that one assignment.  Usage increase will require more ... maybe more space ... maybe more memory ... maybe, maybe.

See what I mean?

You've already been in a situation where there wasn't enough resources.   Now the 'game' is guessing just how much more of space/memory etc. Moodle require in relationship to the cost.

Folks could give you specs and numbers, but ....

You've already determined the next package up ... the 2Gig ... sounds underpowered.   I would agree.  But, are you willing to pay for resources not used right now?

Uhhhh ... I'd be cautious about the "Softaculous Included (for moodle updating)" ... that may not mean what you think it means - or want it to mean.

Ok ... if ya want numbers ... this isn't a large site:   All in one server ... apache, mysql on same server ... same IP.

16Gig Mem (which is aleady using SWAP space and needs tunning), 7238 rows in mdl_user table ... = about 7,238 users in the system.   Has a 1 TB data drive for moodle data (57% usage and grows) ... been in use for 2 years now ... heavily used for the HS students who are in AP classes ... but mostly for quiz.   There are courses for say one AP course that has 4 teachers and their students (sorta team taught online).  Has that DPC example course mentioned above and it's backup is over 50 Gig.  The DB connections variable for MySQL has had to be increase to over 400 - 401 to be exact ... simultaneous connections ... not necessarily to the site, but something by a user in the system using the DB.

Am not bragging on it ... just trying to give you an idea of perhaps researching a little more about usage so you can make a more intelligent decision - but caution you to leave wiggle room ... upwards!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

I svar til Ken Task

ved Domnick Andrew -

Hi, Thanks for the inputs. I've normally considered the 80/20 rule when accommodating user services. So i do try to compensate for the overhead.

Your system sounds very well tuned, if things go well with the moodle site I may need some assist in doing such upgrades as yours.

ved Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Translators
Hi

Moodle is feature-rich and resouce-hungry! Have a look at the initial pointers to the Hardware and performance forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?forum=94. For a (total) of 200 students a 2 GB VPS would do. With 4 GB, 3 CPU, SSD plenty of leeway.

Side topic: Except for my personal grudge, see "Go Daddy! (Where to?)" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193106. (Why do people go to Go Daddy? Because of its advertising machine?
I svar til Visvanath Ratnaweera

ved Domnick Andrew -
Thanks for the feedback. We actually went with godaddy 3GB vps. I'm not a fan of godaddy at all, but the shared hosting was paid up to 2019 by my associate. So opted out to use a vps for the credit of that time with them as to accommodate the loss of funds if not doing so. I will be monitoring them carefully and if any transfer over to a new vps elsewhere in 90 days.

ved Rick Jerz -
Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Testers

If you are not a fan of GoDaddy, request a refund.  I have never had problems getting refunds from Godaddy.

I have around 150 students this semester on my 3GB Godaddy VPS.  Install Moodle manually.  I enable opcache, and I tweak the mySQL my.cnf settings.  If you use forum discussions extensively, ask GoDaddy to bump up your daily email limit.