[MOVED FROM THEMES FORUM] AT Bar Block hides logo

[MOVED FROM THEMES FORUM] AT Bar Block hides logo

by Barbara Lawrence -
Number of replies: 14

Moodle version 3.1.1+, Essential theme version 3.1.0.5

When the AT Bar is displayed, (there's a link to it in the Accessibility block), our site logo (which is 64px high) is partly hidden by the Navigation bar.

We use the old navbar position, placing it below the header: 

Moodle3.1 old navbar position

If we change that to the new navbar position, the navbar is completely hidden by the AT bar, although there is a space between it and the logo:

Moodle3.1 new navbar position

This used to be ok in moodle 2.7.9+ Essential 2.7.9.5.2:

Moodle 2.7 old navbar position

Regardless of whether old or new navbar position, when scrolling down, the AT bar hides the navbar - this happens in both Moodle 2 and Moodle 3.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Wednesday, 10 August 2016, 3:56 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barbara Lawrence

Re: Essential theme: AT Bar hides logo

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Complicated.  AT Bar does not work with Clean and More themes either.

by C Schipper -

The AT bar has been messed up for months. It wasn't working with our previous custom theme either (we switched to Essential a few months ago), so I don't think it has anything to do with the theme. It does what you describe in Firefox and Chrome. In Internet explorer ATbar won't launch at all.

Our Moodle host/support had contacted the ATbar developers for us to let them know, but we never heard back from them.

In reply to C Schipper

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What is an ATBAR? 

I looked at your website last night and it looks OK to me...but then I am not a student so can not see what happens on a course page ot test page whatever.

I would be willing to offer a solution if I could get to see what is happening on the site if you are able to give me minimal access permission?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by C Schipper -

Hi Mary,

AT bar stands for accessibility tools bar. This is a toolbar at the top of a website that allows you to increase the website's text size, have text read out to you, add a colour overlay etc. It's developed by the University of Southampton and can be installed on a browser or on a website.

https://www.atbar.org/about/

On Moodle it is launched via the accessibility block (https://moodle.org/plugins/block_accessibility) - i.e. it doesn't show up until you click "Launch ATbar" in this block. Our Accessibility block isn't visible until you're logged in, so that might be why your not seeing it on Barbara's website either.

- Chantal

In reply to C Schipper

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Chantel,

Ah...now I understand. In that case it's probably some conflict in the design.

There was a problem with the accessibility block in the older Moodle Themes.

That said there should be a fix for it Now though.

I'll take a look and try and replicate the problem display.

Thanks again

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Barbara Lawrence -

Hi Mary

Thank you! for looking at this.  You do have to be logged in to our moodle  to see the Accessibility block , but our live moodle is still Moodle version 2.7, I'm testing Moodle 3.1 on our test server, and unfortunately that's only available on-campus.

We don't have any problems with the AT bar in IE (we're on IE11).

Thanks

Barbara

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

RE: We don't have any problems with the AT bar in IE (we're on IE11).

Strange as the issue exists in IE11 too.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -

Hi Gareth,

As you will have found with this block, heaven knows where all the inline styles come from, anyway, all themes that have fixed top menubars will clash with this block unless they make provision to add CSS to push the theme menu down 45px or thereabouts. Or add css to push the ATBar to sit below the themes top navbar. This is my preferred place in my Morecandy theme, but also requires me to add a z-index of some astronomical size

z-index: 21474836461

What a killer this one is!

Cheers

Mary

PS: By the way I have contacted the ATBar Manintainer and asked him if he would like to collaborate with Moodle Themes to have a setting to put the ATBar at the bottom of the page.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Barbara Lawrence -

I'm sorry - I phrased that very badly.

My comment "We don't have any problems with the AT bar in IE (we're on IE11)"  was in reply to Chantal's comment "In Internet explorer ATbar won't launch at all". I meant... we don't have any problems launching the AT bar in IE ... The AT Bar does hide the logo in IE 11.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Barbara,

You could try adding the following into the Custom CSS settings page of your theme

body { padding-top: 100px; }

and see it it makes any difference?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Barbara Lawrence -

Thanks Mary.  We did try your suggestion, but this resulted in a gap between the logo and the custom menu, due to the ghost div in the at bar. Also scrolling down the page, the custom menu was still being hidden by the AT Bar.

However, we seem to have hit on a fix for custom css:

#sbarGhost {position: fixed; top: 96%;}

#sbar[style] {

top: 96% !important;

}

100% made the ATbar go off the bottom of the page.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Barbara,

I was iin the process of seeing if I can replicate this in Moodle 3.1.5 only to find the the ATBar is not compatible with Moodle 3.0  or 3.1.  It is only at 2.9 compatibility stage.

In which case this is neither a theme issue nor a browser issue, it is a BLOCK PLUGINS issue.

With this in mind I will MOVE this discussion to the appropriate Forum.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by C Schipper -

Hiya,

we've only recently upgraded to 3.0. We had the same problems with the ATbar in 2.7, so likely not a version problem.

- Chantal

In reply to C Schipper

by Andrew C -

Hi Chantal. Working fine for us from versions 2.6, 2.7 and 3.1. I have written a custom theme though. Hope that helps.