Trouble with assign resetting its max points to 100 in 3.1+

Trouble with assign resetting its max points to 100 in 3.1+

by Guido Roessling -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

for some reason that I cannot (yet?) fathom, two assignments seem to be changing the maximum number of points possible to 100 (not at my request!). This means that students who previously had 15 points (out of 15) now are shown as having 15 out of 100.

I have not managed to find any reason why this should happen (or how I may be causing it). I am the only "teacher" in this course.

Has anybody else seen this problem, and has an idea how I can prevent it from continuing to occur?

Note: I have changed the "course completion" status of the course to "active" and have set completion criteria ("must have opened, must have received grade"). But I am sure that I have not edited the "grading / points possible" field while doing so!

The installation uses the latest "weekly" Moodle code, at the time of writing 3.1.1+ (Build: 20160804).

Best regards,

Guido

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guido Roessling

Re: Trouble with assign resetting its max points to 100 in 3.1+

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
And this is just a regular Moodle assignment?  What grade shows in the assignment settings?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Guido Roessling -

Hi,

yes, it is a regular Moodle "assign" (not the old "assignment" module). I use a Rubric, and have now found an example that shows the problem (attached below). As is hopefully clear (sorry, the course is in German...), the student has reached a perfect score in the "Rubric", but the final score is given as "0,25" (out of 5).

Originally, this student had 5 / 5. Then, for whatever reason, the maximum points possible were given as "100", and after rescaling (my mistake by not choosing the right option) it is now "5% of 5 points = 0,25 points". While the point conversion was my mistake, I am sure I never said that this task would be able to receive 100 points...

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So go to Assignment, Edit Settings.  I am guessing that the 100 is in the Grade section there.  You should be able to change it.

by Guido Roessling -

Yes, it is - but I never put it in there!

Perhaps I was not very clear - my question is how it is possible for the "100" to show up there if I had set the value to 15 and have not (knowingly) touched it since then...

by Emma Richardson -

It is probably set as a default and I would guess that you did not check the grade section when you created the assignment.  Or someone changed it.  You could probably go into the logs and see if there were any updates to the the assignment settings.  But for now, at least you can get it fixed!

by Guido Roessling -

That's the strange thing. I am the only teacher in this course, so there is no "someone".

The assignment was set to a 15 point maximum when I last graded.

Today, I changed the activity completion to "on" and chose "must see" and "must receive grade". I certainly did not manually edit the maximum number of points (100% sure of that!).

When grading the next submission sometime later, I saw that the participants now had "15/100" instead of "15/15". I will try to experiment a bit if I can provoke/simulate the same behaviour again...

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think you have just discovered a bug. It was changing the Activity completion that reset the max to 100. Just checked on my site and get the same problem. If you go back and set the Max grade to what you had it before, be sure you select NO for, Rescale existing grades, or the current ratio will be maintained and you will have go manually reset the grades.

And by the way, 100 points is a default setting on the Site administration > Grades > General settings page.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Guido Roessling -

Yes, I am also sure it's a bug. Turning on activity completion and setting the two first criteria as "required" after some submissions have been graded resets the max points to 100 (without mentioning this, or a valid reason). As my network is rather shaky today, I will try to file a bug report about this tomorrow. Thank you for validating this!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks like MDL-55520, which was fixed in the last weekly release.