Protecting PDF and Videos in Desktop and Mobile

Protecting PDF and Videos in Desktop and Mobile

by Samuel Aina -
Number of replies: 5

Pls how do I protect pdf files and videos uploaded to moodle so that students cannot download them. And is it also possible for students to be able to download the files through their moodle mobile app, but not be able to transfer them out to other people?

Kindly suggest how to get these done.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuel Aina

Re: Protecting PDF and Videos in Desktop and Mobile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Please see the Resources FAQ and the question: 

How can I prevent students from downloading my course files such as pdf or word-processed documents?
In reply to Samuel Aina

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

While Mary's link is correct and you cannot stop them altogether, you could slow things down by putting the pdf content into a book (however, they can still print these) and finding a video hosting site that provides some security/protection.  

Embedding the video in a book will not show a download link but there are always ways around that that the determined student will find.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Darren Hall -

Hi Emma,

I tried your trick with embedding a video in a Book, but alas I sill get a download link.

a video embedded in a Moodle book

This was a short mp4 video.  Running Moodle 3.0.  Ideas on why I'm seeing a download link?

Thanks,

Darren

In reply to Darren Hall

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What multimedia filter are you using?  Perhaps there is a setting there. Where are the videos coming from?

In reply to Darren Hall

by Emma Richardson -

Interestingly enough I just had this same issue - it is a Google chrome issue but I am wondering if anyone has a fix for it?