Need advice on a certain course format

Need advice on a certain course format

by RC Admin -
Number of replies: 8

I am wanting to mass upload some videos but when I down the database dump it will only let me download.

I ideally would like a format like the image posted.

image course

Average of ratings: -
In reply to RC Admin

Re: Need advice on a certain course format

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This appears to be two separate questions and I am not either of them belong in Course Formats...?  The image might be from the SNAP theme - the video has just been embedded in the course page - you can do that in any theme...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by RC Admin -

Considering I want it in a certain format one would assume that it would belong on course format section. 

I just wanted a video to be displayed like the image above and have the other sections below. But I have to click into all of them to show.

In reply to RC Admin

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

So are you looking for a 'video wall' kind of format, but where the videos are closed/collapsed until they are played?

As far as I know there is no such format already available so that would have to be a custom build for you. Your best option for that is to hire a developer - unless you have the skills to do develop it yourself. Although, as Emma said, I'm not entirely sure that a course format is the best approach for this - it looks to me from your screenshot to be more of a Resource type than a course format that needs developing. Then each video is a single 'collapsed video' resource that expands to play when its button is clicked.

On your other question - I'm also not aware of any plugin that enables mass uploading of resources, but anyway, they would need the context and course etc, so you really need to sort out the new developed resource or course format plugin first before you can look at how to then add your videos in bulk to your courses. I would guess that you need to add them all to some repository and then script them into the database - you'd probably need to upload one or two manually and investigate what changes there are to the database tables, where all the data is stored so that Moodle recognises the video files themselves, then use that investigation to write an sql script to write them into the database - possibly as URL links to wherever you store them.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by RC Admin -

Okay so I may need to develop that kind of setup. Thanks for the reply.

In reply to RC Admin

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The only person I know who has written that sort of thing in Moodle (not in a course format but a video list thing) is Bas Brands.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by RC Admin -

What is the module he made called?

In reply to RC Admin

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know, but you could contact him if you wish.  He maintains the Bootstrap theme in the Plugins DB.

In reply to RC Admin

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think you could use Collapsed Topics for this.  Just put the initial video in Section 0 - that will show all the time and then the topics below are collapsible.