Row Num problem in grading assignments

Row Num problem in grading assignments

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Number of replies: 4

Can anybody confirm whether or not the row num issue - where having open tabs causes feedback to be saved against the wrong student - has been resolved?

I have read through the forum and cannot figure out the answer. There is a tracker that says it is fixed and marked as completed, but then discussions saying the problem still exists and row num is still being used.

I have teachers who are saving their feedback, with only one tab open and the correct students grading page showing, but then when it saves it saves to the wrong student. For example, we use the Grade Me block which also uses the row num to identify the correct assignment. I just tested and only had one tab open. I saved a grade and feedback to the students assignment. The row num was 0.

But, the feedback and grade were instead saved to the first student (row num 0) on the mod/assign/view page, based on filtering I had applied previously when looking at this page.

I don't know if this problem should be corrected in the assignment coding or the Grade Me coding.

Is there anyone who can confirm that the problem should no longer be happening. I am using Moodle 2.8.5. Do I need to upgrade to a new Moodle version?

I can remove the grade me block if that is the problem but our teacxhers will be really unhappy since it makes it so much easier to grade!

Thanks,

Nikki

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Row Num problem in grading assignments

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Nikki,

I remember having that problem back when I was using Moodle 2.8, and the maintainer of Grade Me eventually put out a version that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, it does appear that the problem is be back again.

I just updated my Archived Moodle 2.8 to the latest 2.8.12+ version and also upgraded Grade Me to it's latest 2.8.0.7 version for that Moodle. On the grading page I viewed a group of six students. In the Grade Me block, I selected a student needing grading and that student was listed as number six on the grading page. When I completed the students grade using Grade Me, the grade actually got saved to the first student listed on the normal grading page, so it appears the problem is back once more.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi again Nikki,

I just did some testing and it appears that Grade Me version 2.8.0.7 reintroduced the problem of posting grades and comments to the wrong student. I tried Grade Me version 2.8.0.5 on Moodle 2.8.12+ and Grade Me version 2.8.0.6 on Moodle 2.8.11+ and both posted grades correctly.

I would guess that you are probably using Grade Me 2.8.0.7. If that is true try replacing it with a lower version as I did.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Nikki Macfarlane -

Thanks so much Al. I will write to the authors and ask them. My version is 2.8.0.7 and it was automatically updated on June 9th when they released the new version. It looks like they have fixed it on that version according to the plugins information but mine is still not working. Guessing I have to reinstall manually if a fix is applied to a plug in that I already have that version of?

by AL Rachels -

Hi Nikki,

At least with this plugin you don't really lose anything if you do have to cycle through an uninstall then reinstall, like with some plugins I've had to deal with. Grade Me will automatically relist everything that needs grading once it's set back up after being reinstalled.