Essential Theme - Moodle 3.0x - Grader report display somewhat confusing for readers

Essential Theme - Moodle 3.0x - Grader report display somewhat confusing for readers

by Malcolm Hay -
Number of replies: 19

Hi,

Back again. We are reaching the time when many of our teachers are starting to go over their grades. We have now had the first feedback showing that there appears to be a problem with the way the Grader Report is displayed when using the Essential theme.

I have enclosed a screenshot (student names pixelated on purpose - not theme related). I would appreciate if I could have some guidance as to where to start with this problem.

Regards,

Malcolm

Grader report screenshot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Malcolm Hay

Re: Essential Theme - Moodle 3.0x - Grader report display somewhat confusing for readers

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, initial answer delayed because I have to ask the question: What version of the theme are you using please?

Everybody, please, please, please, please, please, please, please read the sticky post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=333733 - failure on your part to provide the information asked only delays you getting an answer,

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential Theme - Moodle 3.0x - Grader report display somewhat confusing for readers

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Gareth,

Sorry, I should have included this. Hard to comment with only half the information and the problem may have been fixed in a subsequent update. I will remember this for future posts.

Moodle version: 3.0.3+ (Build: 20160407)

Essential: 3.0.1.1 (Build: 2016010206)

Thanks for you prompt reply.

Cheers,

Malcolm

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Malcolm

I cannot replicate as you can see attached in Essential 3.0.1.5 (the next version) which has no changes in that area from the last release 3.01.4.  I only check against the current release as too much work to downgrade a plugin.

Do you have the group select contributed module installed (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_groupselect)?

Kind regards,

Gareth

Attachment 2016-06-17 10_28_11-Grades_ View.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

And....

Attachment 2016-06-17 10_28_42-Grades_ View.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

P.S. From the screenshot the layout is different as well as the login message.  What custom changes have you made?

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your reply. The custom CSS I have used is as follows:

/*Logo size correction*/

#page-header a.logo {

width: 200px;

height: 60px;

}

/*remove return to section button from lesson footer*/

.footer-rts .btn {

display: none;

}

/* CSS for reduce Cloze Quiz field size starts here */

.path-mod-quiz input[size]

{

width: auto; 

}

/* CSS for floating submit buttons starts here */

/*Setting for form pages */

#region-main form table#form td.submit,

#region-main form .form-buttons,

#region-main form .path-admin .buttons,

#region-main form #fitem_id_submitbutton,

#region-main form .fp-content-center form + div,

#region-main form div.backup-section + form,

#region-main form #fgroup_id_buttonar {

background-color: #800000;

border-radius: 0;

margin: 0 auto;

/*padding around button*/

padding-top: 5;

padding-right: 5;

padding-bottom: 5;

padding-left: 2;

text-align: center;

z-index: 1;

}

/*editing pages and labels*/

#page form .form-buttons #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form table#form td.submit #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form .form-buttons #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form .path-admin .buttons #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form #fitem_id_submitbutton #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form .fp-content-center form + div #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form div.backup-section + form #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form #fgroup_id_buttonar #fgroup_id_buttonar,

#page form fieldset.hidden:last-of-type #fgroup_id_buttonar {

position: static;

background-color: #008080;

border-radius: 0;

margin: 0 auto;

padding-top: 0;

padding-right: 5;

padding-bottom: 0;

padding-left: 2;

text-align: center;

z-index: 1;

}

@media all and (max-width: 767px) {

#page-header {

background-image:none;}

}

#essentialCarousel.carousel .carousel-inner>.item.side-caption .carousel-image {

box-shadow: none;

}

#page{

padding-top: 5px;

}

#page-navbar{

background-color: #0A7B7B;

padding: 5px 5px 0px 5px;

}

#page-header{

background-color: #ffffff;

background-position: right bottom;

background-repeat: no-repeat;

height: 80px;

border-style: solid;

border-bottom-width: 15px;

border-bottom-color: #006666;

}

I don't see anything in the CSS that might account for the Grader Report to display badly and we can't replicate the problem on our Dev Server which uses the same CSS, now that it back online and it may well indicate a serious issue with our live server which may have nothing to do with the theme at all.

It has also come to light that changing the theme via URL is not working on either our live server or the Dev Server which is a worry as the people in charge don't seem to know why.

Thanks for your help and the great work you do.

I think it is just a matter of watch this space. I will keep you informed when anything comes to light.

Cheers,

Malcolm

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just a quick note to say much of that CSS is wrong as you missed off the px from the value for padding etc.,

Please check them and amend them accordingly.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for that,

You never stop learning. I would like to say that the last year has been a near vertical learning curve, but it has been more like jumping off a cliff. Thanks for being the ambulance at the bottom.....

I will get onto that right away.

Regards,

Malcolm

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

smile Now that's a thought...perhaps I should wear a Red Cross arm band!

I think we are all on a learning curve....especially with Moodle 3.2 as that looks like it is going to be the Moodle of all Moodles....exciting but daunting none the less.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Malcolm,

Nothing in the CSS you posted to indicate an issue.  Do you have a site with access on a test course that would illustrate the issue please?  If its an Essential one I'll fix it.

With theme switching on URL, is this setting on Allow_theme_change_by_URL?

Gareth

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your response. Mary Evans already pointed out my "px" omissions in the CSS.

You'll be glad to know that at this stage, it looks more and more likely that there is a problem with our Live Server and not with Essential. 

Our Dev Server also seems to have issues but does display the Grader Report correctly (image attached) for the same course although there seem to be glitches in the way it displays blocks.

Although Allow_theme_change_by_URL is enabled, neither server responds to this which also indicates that something is broken. 

My own server displays everything correctly and is as close to the University Dev and Live servers as I can make it without actually having access to the University server - this is a jealously guarded area and is an obstacle probably intended to make development more interesting by adding the factor of the unknown.

I am meeting with IMS today to go through these issues with them. If we track the problem down, I will keep you and Mary posted.

Regards,

Malcolm

Grader Report Dev Server

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Gareth,

We may have found the culprit for the strange display. In the course editing options, in the Appearance settings we changed "Show grade to students" from "No" to "Yes" (see image)

The culprit

Lo and behold, the result was a perfectly displayed GraderReport.

Grader report Fixed

Perhaps this thread may be useful in future if anyone else has this problem. I also hope my colleagues will look more closely at the course settings before telling me that there is a problem with the theme.

It appears that this was definitely not a theme problem and has nothing to do with Essential.

This setting also seems to stop any changes to the theme via URL so we were not able to test other themes. Once the change was made, it all worked again.

Many, many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Kind regards,

Malcolm

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Malcolm,

I turned on 'Show gradebook to students' and the problem did not happen, thus that is not the problem.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Mary Evans -

Oh that's a thought it could be a conflicting Plugin though?

by Malcolm Hay -

I am afraid you may be right. 

While this solution seems to solve the problem on our Live server, we have not bee able to replicate it on any other server. Mary's thought on a conflicting plugin is certainly a lead worth following up.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Malcolm

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Mary Evans -

There are a few Block plugins that relate to the gradebook. Perhaps you might look to see if there is one on your site?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for that and all your help. we will look into it.

Regards,

Malcolm

In reply to Malcolm Hay

by Mary Evans -

Hi Malcolm,

I am just thinking of Gareth here, I would be tempted to ask what the view looks like using the Clean theme.

Any chance you could add a screenshot of that?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Malcolm Hay -

Hi Gareth and Mary,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the late response. It was a busy weekend.

I will try to get a screenshot of Clean and will post my custom CSS later this morning.

I say try  regarding Clean because our IT in their wisdom deny us access to the server and have the change themes through the address bar turned off. Not ideal when developing a fresh look.

I will try to replicate the problem on our Dev server,  but once again, that may not be identical.

Regards,

Malcolm