Essential theme - hidden resource colour issue

Essential theme - hidden resource colour issue

by Yvonne Hamilton -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

I know Gareth has made changes to the dimming of hidden resources and hidden courses in the breadcrumbs. For us these changes have made things worse as we use very similar gray colours as our default theme colour. Now hidden courses in the breadcrumb are almost unreadable and hidden resource text is the same as non-hidden resources/activities which will send our teachers into a spin (even though the icon is dimmed) if we run with this in a live system. I had a look at some of the fixes #60 and #629 and in the theme files I changed the variables.less colour for @grayLight but changing this didn't make any difference. I get lost in all the github stuff as I am not a coder. 

So what I need help with is how to change the colour of hidden resources/activities on the course page and also in the breadcrumb menu (hidden course names). Where in the code for essential do I do this? And more importantly exactly what do I change it to if I want a much lighter shade of gray.

Moodle 2.9.3+

Essential theme 2.9.1.12(Build 2015062425)

pic

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yvonne Hamilton

Re: Essential theme - hidden resource colour issue

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

The actual list in Moodle is as follows...

https://github.com/lazydaisy/moodle/blob/master/theme/bootstrapbase/less/moodle/core.less#L116-L133

the variable @muted is given as @grayLight which is #999

so just substitute a color fo those CSS SELECTORS.

cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Yvonne Hamilton -

Hi Mary,

I'm not clear on what you are trying to explain to me. As I said I'm not a coder and perhaps not smart either.

If I change Link colour in the theme to #999999 the text on my unhidden resources is then lighter than the text on the hidden resources so the hidden resources are not set to #999999 for our install and I want them to be. What specifically do I need to do please smile. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Yvonne

In reply to Yvonne Hamilton

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Oh sorry, I assumed you understood the concepts of CSS even though you are not a coder. You must know something about this even if you are not that sure where to look.

I only know what I know about the job I do, is by reading about HTML, PHP, SQL, JAVASCRIPT, JQUERY, CSS, LESS and now GRUNT, and not forgetting GIT and it is a maze I can agree with you there.

What I hoped you would have done is add this list to the 'Custom CSS' section of the Essential settings page (General - I think?)

.dimmed,
a.dimmed:link,
a.dimmed:visited,
a.dimmed_text,
a.dimmed_text:link,
a.dimmed_text:visited,
.dimmed_text,
.dimmed_text a,
.dimmed_text a:link,
.dimmed_text a:visited,
.usersuspended,
.usersuspended a,
.usersuspended a:link,
.usersuspended a:visited,
.dimmed_category,
.dimmed_category a {
color: #999;
}

Which should fix the dimmed parts n the bread crumb.

you could try using the colour gold  instead of grey.

color: gold;

Hope this helps.

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Yvonne Hamilton -

Thanks Mary,

Gareth had put in a change to 2.9.1.13 for the Breadcrumb issue (2.9.1.13 is waiting for release at this point in time) so in the meantime I also added 

.breadcrumb-nav ul.breadcrumb.style1 li a{text-decoration:none;padding-right:3px;overflow:hidden}.breadcrumb-nav ul.breadcrumb.style1 li .dimmed_text{font-style:italic;color:#999

}

to lighten up the hidden resources/courses in the breadcrumb and it seems to work for us.

Thanks for your help Mary and Gareth